Phones At Gigs

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: Phones At Gigs
Aug 20, 2014, 09:51
I can't remember who it was now, but an older musician I was interviewing made the point to me that all those legendary secret or small gigs of yesteryear that you heard about afterwards would seem a lot less mythic if there was poor quality phone footage of the event already up on youtube by the end of the night.

So I really think people should respect Kate's request. It's going to be a special moment; immerse yourself in it, and let someone else worry about the documentation!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2014, 13:18
Aug 20, 2014, 12:10
I used to take loads of photos at gigs (with a camera, not a phone). I came to my senses and now enjoy the experience as it should be. The odd snap for posterity does no harm though. So, I keep it to a minimum these days. I do agree with some that it spoils the fun.

The chatters in quiet moments of songs at any gig annoys me even more so though. They really should shut the fuck up.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 14:42
i dont like it. I do usually take a camera and take maybe 2 or 3 snaps as a momento though so i am not without exeption. But i just hate the thought that everything has to be 'proved' we all have to have the evidence that we were there, sharing on social media 'while' we are there, because if we dont it didnt happen. Its this constant running commentry on your lfe that some people feel the nee to provide. People sometimes seem to watch the gig through their phone, zooming in to get a better view. Uploading it as soon as they get home. If i were a performer i would hate this, all these little machines being pointed at me, you want to connect with your audience, see their faces, see their eyes - its so important to get that reaction and feel the room, see them moving and dancing, interact with them, feel their energies. I dont like it at all. Peaple are calling and texting while they are at the show to 'prove' they are there. When i see a show i want to immerse myself in it and savour every moment in the now, i want to feel it. I like to be on the front row, i like to be able to really see the person performing, i want to make eye contact and see their fingers move and the expression on their face, i want to feel the vibrations coming from the speakers, i like to see the expressions on the faces of the people around me, i want to dance and do my thing and have a great time. I want to get the biggest 'experience' i can from it, when you hold your phone in front of you to me that makes it a very small experience, when your focus is on your phone and not the 'show' that is being given to you. I dislike other peoples phones intensly in any case, as i think they are a permanent distraction from real life and stop you connecting to many things of value. x
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2014, 15:29
Aug 20, 2014, 15:20
I actually saw The Fratellis 34 times in total. That is crazy. In Berlin, Paris, Ibiza and all over the UK. I took quite a few photos as I was the 'unofficial photographer'. So It may be worth it sometimes, but not all the time.

They had some good songs too! I loved their energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrS7V7aFves
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 16:33
I'm ambivalent about the whole thing. On the one hand I understand and appreciate Kate Bush's request. On the other hand I had a certain admiration for David Byrne who - on his last tour - announced over the PA before the gig that phones and cameras and videos were fine by him and that venue staff should not intervene to prevent anyone from using them.

He was basically accepting that they were part of modern culture and resisting them is as futile as resisting the changing of the seasons. And I mostly agree with that.

Yet I still find myself irritated by people at gigs who appear to spend more time staring at a 5 inch LED screen than they do at the band 20 feet behind it. That sort of wilful and completely unnecessary mediation of an immediate experience pisses me off.

And then I think, "I'm enjoying the gig the way I want to... what the fuck business of mine is it how some stranger wants to enjoy it?"

Or as xkcd eloquently puts it...
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 20:16
I take photos with my phone, but generally just a few snaps near the beginning or if something interesting happens. It cheeses me right off when people spend the entire night watching a gig through a tiny screen - why bother coming? Have noticed iPads sneaking into gigs, at which I condone the throwing of pints because there is no need and it spoils the view for half a dozen others. The camera on my Nokia has come up with some surprisingly good shots at times (but some utter rubbish on others). As I see a lot of smallish or local bands I usually stick them up on their facebook pages.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2014, 04:32
Aug 20, 2014, 20:44
I got a bit annoyed about this. I asked for the photo of my tattoo (Screamadelica) to be removed from a website which was taken at a Primal Scream gig. It was. My privacy is pretty important. It was an adventure, I suppose. I found it imposing though. I know the law says differently, but one does not want one's ugly mug on the internet without permission. I don't mind people seeing it, but with permission. Andrew Weatherall thought it is fantastico!

Tickets usually say "you may be filmed". I never want to be though. Act natural.

http://www.hungertv.com/feature/primal-scream-brixton-academy/
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2014, 06:09
Aug 21, 2014, 06:08
As you know, I take pics at gigs, sometimes professionally (when it happens!) and sometimes for my own souvenir purposes as well as maybe adding to a portfolio of stuff and hopefully generating interest in what I do. This can have a mutual back scratching effect with smaller bands starting out. They get some pics they can use, I get in their good books and maybe a cd or two or guest list or some such and some pics to illustrate my stuff.

I do this with a camera and I've got pretty good at being as discreet as I can about it as I know myself what a pain it can be for other people. Personally, I think using a camera is a little more discreet and less intrusive than using a phone anyway, and definitely less in-the-way than a bloody tablet. You might not agree, which is fair enough. But to me, a camera is in front of my face, not a slab being waved around in the air, possibly spoiling the view for other people. A lot of it depends on the band, the venue and so on. The Deaf Institute is great for photos but the Academy 2 is useless unless you're crushed at the front, which I don't enjoy, or really tall, which I'm most certainly not.

As for the Kate show, well I will have a camera with me on the night, just cos I always do, but even before she made the request, which I'm not surprised at, I had no intention of taking pictures. For a start, I thought from the outset that there would be a clampdown on photos etc even before the 'official' announcement. I'm going with the intention if seeing the gig and enjoying the performance and that's it. It might be cool to have some shots of fans milling about before the show, seeing as it's an EVENT, we shall see.

Having said all that, I would happily see an ocean of phones being waved about if it could guarantee the shutting the fuck up of people talking through gigs which seems to be a real ball ache of a thing these days.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index