Phones At Gigs

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2014, 15:09
Phones At Gigs
Aug 19, 2014, 15:07
With Kate Bush's request that fans don't film and photograph her forthcoming shows ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28854330 ) comes the question - Why do we do it?

I sometimes take sneaky snaps - and have even filmed little sequences of gigs that I've been particularly impressed by. Not to sell, more to share with fans and even the band, themselves. Much like if I see a beautiful butterfly on a flower.

What are your feelings, though? Do you do it? Or do you get irked by those who do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmjm4MBeRxw
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2014, 16:03
Re: Phones At Gigs
Aug 19, 2014, 16:03
Got used to it happening. Pretty much every gig in the last 7 or 8 years I've had someones hands/arms/phones waved in my face at some point. I guess it's just part of the modern gig going experience. I can't really complain though, as, like yourself, I've taken the odd snap, or short clip, for posterities sake, much in the way I buy or try to track down a recording of a gig I've been at.

What does irk me is the peeps that feel the need to film the whole bloody event (and they're usually six foot nine and standing right in front of me!).

I think we've forgotten the living n the moment/ giving in to the experience of concerts. If your experience of the whole event is through a 3 inch screen I think your missing out on the spirit of the night, as I feel your a little removed from the events unfolding before you if your worrying about the framing and focus of your movie.

I've been to several gigs (Shellac, Future of the Left, Pere Ubu to name names) where the band has got so pissed with camera phones that they've threatened not to play any more if peeps don't pay more attention. I can see their point, it must be rather demoralising if when you look out from the stage playing your heart out your greeted with a sea of arms and phones, not dudes digging your efforts.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 16:14
A couple of years ago we took the Calamity Kids to see Hugh Cornwell, playing a solo set at a local venue. A few seats aong from us were two chaps both filming the whole set - neither of whom looked up from their monitors very often. Most surprising!

I think some people have forgotten how to go to gigs, actually. After all everything is conveniently fed into the home via TV or streaming. Therefore on the rare occasion they go to a live, as it's actually happening event their etiquette and course of behaviour is challenged.

Switching the thread over a little (for a change); A few weeks ago, a bunch of us went and saw Tom Jones play a sports stadium in Wales. We'd got some decent seats, but chose to stand and get out into the ailes for a frug. We were being shouted at to return to our seats by audience members, rather than security staff, as we were breaking the rules, apparently.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 17:10
"We were being shouted at to return to our seats by audience members, rather than security staff, as we were breaking the rules, apparently."

Bloody self appointed fun police get on my tits. I've started to think that certain sections of the British audience don't know how to have a good time anymore. I'm guessing they were just jealous that you were a free enough spirit to let loose. Hope you kept on frugging, peeps are scared of their own bloody shadows nowadays.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 17:21
They couldn't see the stage, sat there, anyway. I suspect we were blocking their view of the blummin' TV monitors. Or just being annoying by dancing.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 17:45
I take a whole moratorium on the snappity snappity cult'jah. You'll be hard-pressed to find a photo of me (and definitely any taken by me) from the last several years. Yeah, I'm a Luddite, but I don't care. If I'm somewhere I'll either be fully there, or not there at all. I like to free up a moment, not capture the mothucker. Plus, my Ian Curtis-having-an-epileptic-fit-dancing doesn't lend itself well to carrying camera gear.

All of that said, well, spluttered, other people are entitled to do whatever they damn well please so long as it doesn't involve me. I'm not the type of snidey busybody who goes to events and glares at other people's cameras and ipads venomously. Sadsacks.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 18:34
Fair play. I'm an 'everything in moderation' kinda chap, too. If Kate has specifically asked folk to not distract her and others they should respect that, though. Nobody gets cameras out at the theatre, after all. A cynical little voice in my head just wonders whether there'll be a film crew getting footage for a DVD, though.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 20:20
Kate gets a pass but everyone else is free game in my book. I really don't see the issue as the quality of video from a camera as of now is still not good enough to sell as a bootleg.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2014, 20:22
Aug 19, 2014, 20:21
Begs the question whether Kate's "request" will really turn out to be an order, i.e. if anyone seen filming or photographing her concerts is greeted by heavies intent on intimidation, confiscation or outright violence. Personally, although it pisses me off when people block my own view, even momentarily, taking their crummy visual souvenirs at gigs, I reckon folk should be allowed to do what the hell they like, especially when paying the sort of money Kate Bush is charging to see her.

Not that I give a shit, cos I won't be there. As I get older, I find the whole concert experience more of a pain than a pleasure, for all sorts of reasons I can't be bothered to bore you with. If it isn't a small venue, I'm not usually persuaded to turn out. Neil Young, Crazy Horse and the staff of the Newcastle Arena: you've a lot to answer for as far as this disillusioned former "concert goer" is concerned...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2014, 10:53
Aug 20, 2014, 07:57
Generally speaking fans should have the same latitude with their cameras as the pro photographers - first three songs and that's your lot.

It infuriates me but not as much as the endless fucking talking that goes on while bands are playing, especially in bigger venues. If you want proof that for a great many punters the music comes a long way second to the far more important activity of talking about themselves then just go to any weekend gig in a room bigger than The Garage. Of course it could just be that London has a worse coke problem than I thought.

As for the upcoming Kate Bush shows I imagine she doesn't want people taking pics so as not to have the surprises spoiled for those coming to shows later in the run. Which is fair enough. Will be interesting to see if she bans news cameras and press photographers too. Hope so. We could all use a little more old school magic these days.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index