Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 July 2014 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 July 2014 CE
Jul 28, 2014, 14:36
The Prophecy: Live in Europe, Execution Ground, Rituals - Live in Japan, Talisman (Live in Nagoya) and Live in Osaka - PainKiller

Irène Schweizer & Louis Moholo - Irène Schweizer & Louis Moholo

King of Jeans and Honeys - Pissed Jeans

Destroy All Music - The Flying Luttenbachers
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 18:32
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
The Reegs - Definitive Collection. A worthy listen for a Chameleons fan such as I. Jesus came to Manchester certainly took me unawares! As did other John Cooper Clarke like songs.

Excellent, that was a swift purchase :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 18:35
Really enjoyed the Viv Albertine book, can't imagine it won't be my favourite music biog this year (B Sumner will have to pull something unlikely out of the bag to top it).
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 19:10
Not much listened to this week, as travelling and walking.

Main listen for this week has been Joe Gibbs & The Professionals - African Dub Almighty, Chapter 3. Great stuff, deeply reworked versions of well known tunes.

Otherwise:

Can - Out of Reach (this is horrible)
Adam & the Antz - Dirk Wears White Socks
Simple Minds - Life In A Day
Tubeway Army - Replicas

Adam & The Ants - Very Best Of
The The - Soul Mining
The The - Infected
The The - Mindbomb

Adorable - "Favourite Fallen Idol"

Actress - Splazsh
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jul 29, 2014, 10:46
Allen Ginsberg, Peter Orlovsky and Gregory Corso- Three Angels.

A kind of 'reunion' album for these three beat poets, recorded live in a New York bookstore in 1992. I love Corso's heckling and non sequitirs, and how he winds up the somewhat more pompous Ginsberg.

The Playn Jayn- Five Good Evils. Great mid-80s pop-psych from this perennially overlooked band.

Taman Shud- As yet untitled forthcoming album.

Looking forward to seeing these kids at Supernormal; they described themselves as "DNA meets Mainliner meets Red Stripe" which pretty much fits the bill. Ace stuff.

Heat- Labyrinth. Contemporary German band playing incredibly authentic early 70s hard rock, with Wishbone / Lizzy twin lead guitar attack and Deep Purple groove. Pointless? Maybe, but great fun.

The Doors- S/T

Roxy Music- Manifesto

Neon Sardinia- whatever it's called.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jul 29, 2014, 12:42
Not too much this week:

Urthona - Amid Devonia's Alps and The Elements Rage. Heavy rural (his words) an apt description. Inspired to dig these out after seeing a 3 piece Urthona set the previous weekend.

Holy Sons - A compilation on heavy rotation, tracks culled from Survivalist Tales, Decline of the West, Criminal's Return and Drifter's Sympathy. In other words the more multi-instrumental, less lo-fi stuff. These albums mature nicely with repeated listens.

Qa'a - Sang. This was Cope's last vinyl of the month. Was in touch with them a few years back when they played a gig in London and wanted to check this out but the triple vinyl postage was putting me off at the time. But Victor emailed me the other day with a link to the bandcamp page so listened and was hooked. It's a vast record but Victor explained each of the 6 sides were designed to stand alone or be played in any order. The obvious reference point is Tago Mago in that there are electronic noise pieces interspersed with repetitive, catchier guitar led tracks - and it all has a ritual feel to it. My favourite tracks so far are Retorn Etern, Ascencio, Vermell Profund and No t'aturis mai. Check out the bandcamp here:
http://qaamagiaroja.bandcamp.com/album/sang-2
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jul 29, 2014, 12:43
IanB wrote:

With that in mind I have to thank Riverman for the Takemitsu prompt a few months back. Going through his work in some detail has been a lot of fun and his wife Asaka's book about their lives together also brings some very welcome everyday detail into the supposedly rarefied world of being a "proper" composer. They sounds like a family you could go to the pub or a game or a gig or a movie with and, like Henze, Takemitsu's music seems to know no bounds set by theorists, academics or obscurantists. His film scores in particular are unimprovable.

I still haven't got round to examining his work further - any recommendations?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jul 29, 2014, 13:21
riverman wrote:
Not too much this week:

Urthona - Amid Devonia's Alps and The Elements Rage. Heavy rural (his words) an apt description. Inspired to dig these out after seeing a 3 piece Urthona set the previous weekend.

Holy Sons - A compilation on heavy rotation, tracks culled from Survivalist Tales, Decline of the West, Criminal's Return and Drifter's Sympathy. In other words the more multi-instrumental, less lo-fi stuff. These albums mature nicely with repeated listens.

Qa'a - Sang. This was Cope's last vinyl of the month. Was in touch with them a few years back when they played a gig in London and wanted to check this out but the triple vinyl postage was putting me off at the time. But Victor emailed me the other day with a link to the bandcamp page so listened and was hooked. It's a vast record but Victor explained each of the 6 sides were designed to stand alone or be played in any order. The obvious reference point is Tago Mago in that there are electronic noise pieces interspersed with repetitive, catchier guitar led tracks - and it all has a ritual feel to it. My favourite tracks so far are Retorn Etern, Ascencio, Vermell Profund and No t'aturis mai. Check out the bandcamp here:
http://qaamagiaroja.bandcamp.com/album/sang-2

I've long been tempted by the Qa'a thing, but like you was put off by the postage. Did you get the download then? The vinyl does look jolly nice...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2014, 13:46
Jul 29, 2014, 13:46
riverman wrote:
IanB wrote:

With that in mind I have to thank Riverman for the Takemitsu prompt a few months back. Going through his work in some detail has been a lot of fun and his wife Asaka's book about their lives together also brings some very welcome everyday detail into the supposedly rarefied world of being a "proper" composer. They sounds like a family you could go to the pub or a game or a gig or a movie with and, like Henze, Takemitsu's music seems to know no bounds set by theorists, academics or obscurantists. His film scores in particular are unimprovable.

"The Film Music of Toru Takemitsu" is well worth hearing

There are some really good Naxos albums "Complete Original Solo Guitar Works", "A Flock Descends - Orchestral Works", "Piano Music" and "Toward The Sea - Chamber Music"

"Quotation of Dream" - London Sinfonieta on DG is wonderful

"Green/Arc" - London Sinfonieta

"Works For Orchestra" - Ozawa / Toronto
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jul 29, 2014, 14:16
IanB wrote:
riverman wrote:
IanB wrote:

"The Film Music of Toru Takemitsu" is well worth hearing

There are some really good Naxos albums "Complete Original Solo Guitar Works", "A Flock Descends - Orchestral Works", "Piano Music" and "Toward The Sea - Chamber Music"

"Quotation of Dream" - London Sinfonieta on DG is wonderful

"Green/Arc" - London Sinfonieta

"Works For Orchestra" - Ozawa / Toronto

Thanks Ian - might well investigate a Naxos album or two in that case.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index