Unsung Forum »
Yah Ho Wa Discog Breakdown

7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Re: Yah Ho Wa Discog Breakdown
Jun 05, 2014, 01:46
In addition to the original box set, there was some more Sky Saxon-related material that wasn't included, most likely because Sky forgot he recorded it! These are:
In Praise of Our Father - a one-sided private press 14 minute lp, which is actually the final 14 minutes of Yodship. Essential if you like the Yodship album, but doesn't work as a stand-alone piece.
Masters of Psychedelia - released in the early 80s, but side two is actually vintage recordings from Sky's time with the family, totally awesome. I personally consider Sky's work with the Source family to be even better than his stuff with the Seeds. Side 1 of this lp is Sky with a then-current 80s band.
Lover's Cosmic Voyage - Sky playing piano, backed by a harp, and rambling about dogs. This has not been confirmed as being recorded with the source family, but I'm pretty sure it was. The sound and vibe is the same. A 14 minute ep released in the mid 70s.

Post box-set, there has been more material released. These are:
The Operatta - Similar in vibe to I'm Gonna take you home and To the principles, this was the last material Father recorded. But at this point the Family had moved away from LA and their home recording studio, and this set was recorded in a warehouse where the family was crashing. So the sound is not so good, though still worth getting.
Children of the Sixth-Root Race - Similar to All or nothing at all, real songs recorded without father. But more polished than All or nothing at all, so not as appealing. But it does end with a good 14 minute acidified jam about the coming apocalypse in 1997 or so.
Father Yod and the Spirit of 76 - like the other spirit of '76 albums, Father backed by a big band, though I like it less than the other three. Father doesn't seem to be on top of his game lyric-wise. I wonder if this was recorded before the other three? It sounds like they are still finding their sound.
The Thought Adjusters - a comp mostly featuring unreleased spirit of '76 material, plus two or three songs from the Yahowha 13 era. Fairly good, I like the Spirit of 76 stuff here better than what's on the one I listed above.
Magnificence in the Memory - another comp of unreleased material, very good. Compiled by the guy in the No Neck Blues Band. Definitely worth getting, and maybe an ideal introduction to the band.
Fire is the final baptism - a CD that came with the book about the source family that was released by process media, featuring unreleased tracks (though one later reappeared on the Magnificence in the memory comp). Also has some radio interviews. The CD and book are both quite good.
Chants of the Source Family (name might be slightly different, I can't recall) - features field recordings of the family chanting Yahowha. But it comes across as a total rip off. A 2 minute chant will simply be repeated 3 times to make it 6 minutes, etc. Could have been a decent ep for die-hard fans but not an album.
There is also a new comp released in conjunction with the documentary from last year, but I believe it is all previously issued material, so I haven't gotten it.
Also one exclusive instrumental track appeared on a comp issued by Drag city, though I forget the comp's name.
And 30 hours' worth of mp3s of Father's morning meditations can be ordered though the family's website, though I don't yet consider myself to be such a Yahowha junkie as to make that purchase.

If you are interested, I have also written longer reviews of Penetration, To the Principles, and Yodship on Unsung a decade or so ago. And I have short reviews of all these releases on Rateyourmusic.
Like I said, Yahowha 13 is my favorite American band. Hope you enjoy them!

Unsung Forum Index