tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Jeff Beck
Apr 22, 2014, 10:37
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I didn't get very far with the first clip, to be honest, and the second was better but didn't really do anything for me. I liked The Yardbirds one best of all, but it was still so so. His thing seems to be an exercise in technique expertise overall - I didn't find it soulful. Maybe that's just me though.

Oddly enough the usual view of him is that he eschews technique and attempts to get closer to a voice ,and thus that wee bit more soulful than a machine producing the pitches .

The fusion that JP posted worked for me, definitely. Very soulful playing. Superb. I totally get Jeff Beck when he's working in that genre. I think it's just his blues material that doesn't do much for me.

His early influences are rock n roll and blues , his blues stuff usually had something extra , never quite straight which made it a bit more interesting even to the extent of bringing in a bit of humour , but he was never considered a blueser in the same school as the Mayall / other blues band players .
Goodbye pork hat whilst bluesy is actually a Charlie Mingus tune and was originally recorded with Jan Hammer so it belongs to his fusion period .
I quite like his fusion stuff but I'm not a fusion fan ,I like jazz but and only some rock but the two together rarely work for me ,apart from Miles . I don't hear the fusion stuff as being soulful at all ,whereas some of the attaempts at echoing voices and ballads can be .
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index