Unsung Forum »
sound cards

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: sound cards
Apr 13, 2014, 20:21
Thanks for letting me know about that! Will try it next time my Reaper gets fuzzy...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2014, 20:41
Apr 13, 2014, 20:39
Edit: sorry, just read the other posts, was repeating info!
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Apr 13, 2014, 22:57
Another Reaper user here - absolutely love it. Never noticed any distortion problems, occasional glitches when running too many plugins but adjusting buffer size and/or freezing tracks sorts it. PC upgrade I'm hoping will help too (not transferred all the preferences over yet so haven't had chance to try it out). I think it was the beta of Asio4all that allowed 2 soundcards to be used at once which is great - can process 4 channels of guitar through the Black Box amp modeller and whatever hardware through my main soundcard without having to fiddle about reconnecting speakers or headphones or other settings.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Apr 16, 2014, 20:19
http://www.hgf-synthesizer.com/serenity.html

I recommend this free synth... does lots of grand sounding filmic stuff.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 17, 2014, 11:30
Arrgh! Another virtual synth I just had to download and try out. Very nice...
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Apr 18, 2014, 00:28
I mainly use hardware, but have found serenity great for adding layers quickly, especially if I'm not sure and want to fiddle around afterwards (I don't record midi with my hardware normally). Will stick a load of other vsts I've come across if I get chance this weekend.
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 15, 2014, 07:46
Actually I just found out I wasn't using asio4all and that was the problem. I was using the asio in my M-Audio interface. I just changed the settings in my Reaper to asio4all and haven't had the distortion problems so far...
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited May 15, 2014, 11:57
May 15, 2014, 11:57
Lawrence wrote:
Actually I just found out I wasn't using asio4all and that was the problem. I was using the asio in my M-Audio interface. I just changed the settings in my Reaper to asio4all and haven't had the distortion problems so far...

If you actually have a real ASIO device then you really, really should not be using asio4all at all, your overall audio performance will be a lot lower than it needs to be. The problem instead is probably that the ASIO settings (timings/latency) need a bit of a tweak in the ASIO preferences in Reaper. M-Audio is good kit, make sure Reaper is using the M-Audio ASIO driver and tweak your timings till the problem stops.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

May 15, 2014, 13:35
stray wrote:
Lawrence wrote:

If you actually have a real ASIO device then you really, really should not be using asio4all at all, your overall audio performance will be a lot lower than it needs to be. The problem instead is probably that the ASIO settings (timings/latency) need a bit of a tweak in the ASIO preferences in Reaper. M-Audio is good kit, make sure Reaper is using the M-Audio ASIO driver and tweak your timings till the problem stops.

Yep, what Stray said. M-Audio preferences should let you take the buffer size down pretty small before you get any artifacts.
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 15, 2014, 15:30
OK I'll try it.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index