Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: top 5 greatest bassists of all time
Dec 31, 2013, 18:29
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Never forget the Boatbuilder! Have you heard Poltergeist yet? His & Will Sergeants project. Or should I say Prog-ject

No, not yet. It's on the "remember to check out soon" list.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 31, 2013, 18:30
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Have you heard Poltergeist yet? His & Will Sergeants project. Or should I say Prog-ject.

I like that album. But wish it had been a bit madder and looser if you see what I mean?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: top 5 greatest bassists of all time - flip side
Dec 31, 2013, 18:31
Vybik Jon wrote:
In the style of Endless Art, here's More Top 5 Greatest Bassists.

Kim Deal
Kim Gordon
Tina Weymouth
Gail Greenwood
Gail Ann Dorsey

I like what you did there.

Kim Deal was on the subs bench with Family Man Barrett.

Patricia Morrison might be on this list too.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 31, 2013, 18:43
Moon Cat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Have you heard Poltergeist yet? His & Will Sergeants project. Or should I say Prog-ject.

I like that album. But wish it had been a bit madder and looser if you see what I mean?

I do, totally. Some of it has a bit of a cut and paste feel and it's a bit sort of 'polite'(!) in places but hopefully it'll get a bit further out there in future if that doesn't sound too naff.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 31, 2013, 18:48
Not at all! I like it a lot, but given the pre-release blurb (Will & Les go Kraut Prog etc) plus Will's Glide stuff, I was hoping for a little more freakiness.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 31, 2013, 18:54
Moon Cat wrote:
Not at all! I like it a lot, but given the pre-release blurb (Will & Les go Kraut Prog etc) plus Will's Glide stuff, I was hoping for a little more freakiness.

Aye, totally agree. And Will should use his JP double neck SG for gigs too to add a little extra magic! (as long as he's not tempted to play the stairway to heaven riff, which everybody must do when they buy one of those!)
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Dec 31, 2013, 19:27
Jack Casady
Dickie Peterson
Mike Watt
Cliff Burton
Dave Holland
Noel Redding
Charles Mingus

...5 right?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 31, 2013, 19:31
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Aye, totally agree. And Will should use his JP double neck SG for gigs too to add a little extra magic! (as long as he's not tempted to play the stairway to heaven riff, which everybody must do when they buy one of those!)

A progular gig is not complete until a multi-necked instrument appears!
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Dec 31, 2013, 19:33
Phil Lesh, Ron Carter, Kira Roessler
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Nobody's mentioned...
Dec 31, 2013, 19:37
Vybik Jon wrote:
Apologies. I'm not saying Phil was a bad bass player at all, just not in the greatest category. Certainly class. I think his true genius was in song writing and I'm sure I read somewhere that bass wasn't his first choice of instrument.

Totally agree. He was a bass player of convenience but as a songwriter, vocalist and front man in the pre-punk era he was close to incomparable. Alex Harvey and Rory would be in there with him but there are not many in that league.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index