Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 November 2013 CE

16 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 November 2013 CE
Nov 10, 2013, 18:13
1) The Necks - Open ... I seriously am wondering if this is the best sounding record that I own: even if purchasers were not as entranced with it as I am, it cannot fail to tickle the ears as a test of their audio system's capabilities. Recorded at Studios 301 in Aus, which used to be EMI's base and where the Abbey Road gear used to record a lot of things that HHers know and love ended up, some of which is still in use, and using the biggest recording room in the southern hemisphere. It shows. The album title's totally appropriate. Beautifully spacious, recorded using Can's method of stitching together hours of improvisation to create a whole, it demands and deserves full attention: it is not background, driving or meditational music like some of their other studio albums. Those who are partial to Talk Talk's Laughing Stock, Mark Hollis' solo effort, Gavin Bryars, John Cale's viola work, Eno and Wyatt may think they hear echoes. It is well described here: http://thumped.com/music-reviews/the -necks-open.html For want of a better word, how have I felt after listening to it? Cleansed. Their most complete record, which supplants Boards Of Canada's Tomorrows Children as my album of the year........ 2) The Necks - Sex ... their first, recorded twenty five years ago. Basically an hour long piece that doesn't mutate that much with overdubs added. Not as challenging as their live or studio work can be these days. Their biggest seller, pleasant enough, but I prefer others. I played it after Open to see how far they'd come. Answer: a very long way.......3) The Necks - Athenaeum, Homebush, Quay, RAAB ... four live performances. I just played Homebush. Fans of the wildest reaches of Can's Tago Mago: dive in ........ 4) Can - Future Days ... I've now owned this record in one form or another for forty years. Yup, that's how old it is now. Wears the years very lightly, and I haven't played it nearly enough in recent times ....... 5) King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon ... hadn't heard this for years and years. Much better than I recalled ........ 6) Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece ... Along with St Dominic's Preview, my favourite of his, not played much recently, just needed a fix of You Don't Pull Your Punches.... better now ......... 7) Love - Da Capo ...... 8) Astra - The Weirding ... A grower, this. Had a bit of it as a earworm for days. Fek its back
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index