High Wolf - Atlas Nation

High Wolf - Know Thyself

V.A. - Jamaica Funk

V.A. - Dry Acid (Lee Perry productions)

Master Musicians of Bukkake - Far West

The Mops - Iijanaika

V.A. - California Love-In 3-5

Jimi Hendrix - People , Hell & Angels

Duke Ellington - Centennial Collection (disc 1)

Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Meditations Vol. 1

Halfnelson - st

Cosmos Factory - An Old Castle Of Transylvania

Cosmos Factory - A Journey With The Cosmic Factory

Cosmos Factory - Black Hole

The Plastic Cloud - st

The Gentleman Losers - st

The Gentleman Losers - Dustland

HEAD - st (Nik Pascal)
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 November 2013 CE
Nov 10, 2013, 11:24
Elton John - Madman Across The Water

Scott Walker - Scott 3

The Kingsbury Manx - Bronze Age

Yo La Tengo - Painful
Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura
Yo La Tengo - Genius + Love = Yo La Tengo

Flying Saucer Attack - Chorus
Flying Saucer Attack - In Search Of Spaces
Tele:Funken vs Flying Saucer Attack - Distant Station

The Underground River - Nocturama: Vistas Of Sombre (a recommendation from October's Address Drudion - this is one of the best things I've heard for ages)

Bartók - Concerto For Orchestra

John Ireland - Piano Concerto/A Sea Idyll

of Arrowe Hill - Hexadelica & The Speed Of Darkness

Cardiacs - The Obvious Identity
Cardiacs - Toy World
Cardiacs - Archive Cardiacs

Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Nov 10, 2013, 12:03
The Velvet Underground 'White Light/White Heat'
The Necks 'Open'
Captain Beefheart 'Safe As Milk'
David Crosby 'If I Could Only Remember My Name'
Nils Lofgren 'Nils Lofgren' and 'Acoustic Live'
Nick Drake 'Bryter Layter'
The Grateful Dead 'From The Mars Hotel'
Mick Abrahams Band 'A Musical Evening With The Mick Abrahams Band'
Jethro Tull 'Benefit' (the original mix, not Wilson's update which has stripped this near-perfect album of its misty, ephemeral charm)
Kevin Coyne 'Heartburn'
Gruff Rhys 'Hotel Shampoo'
Miles Davis 'Sorcerer'
Gary Peacock 'December Poems'
Reflexionen 'Live'
AMM III 'It Had Been An Ordinary Enough Day In Pueblo, Colorado'
Robert Crawford: String Quartets 1-3 (Edinburgh Quartet)
Mahler 3 (Concertgebouw/Haitink)
Mahler 9 (Bavarian RSO/Kubelik)
Bruckner 1 (Berlin RSO/Chailly)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Nov 10, 2013, 18:13
1) The Necks - Open ... I seriously am wondering if this is the best sounding record that I own: even if purchasers were not as entranced with it as I am, it cannot fail to tickle the ears as a test of their audio system's capabilities. Recorded at Studios 301 in Aus, which used to be EMI's base and where the Abbey Road gear used to record a lot of things that HHers know and love ended up, some of which is still in use, and using the biggest recording room in the southern hemisphere. It shows. The album title's totally appropriate. Beautifully spacious, recorded using Can's method of stitching together hours of improvisation to create a whole, it demands and deserves full attention: it is not background, driving or meditational music like some of their other studio albums. Those who are partial to Talk Talk's Laughing Stock, Mark Hollis' solo effort, Gavin Bryars, John Cale's viola work, Eno and Wyatt may think they hear echoes. It is well described here: http://thumped.com/music-reviews/the -necks-open.html For want of a better word, how have I felt after listening to it? Cleansed. Their most complete record, which supplants Boards Of Canada's Tomorrows Children as my album of the year........ 2) The Necks - Sex ... their first, recorded twenty five years ago. Basically an hour long piece that doesn't mutate that much with overdubs added. Not as challenging as their live or studio work can be these days. Their biggest seller, pleasant enough, but I prefer others. I played it after Open to see how far they'd come. Answer: a very long way.......3) The Necks - Athenaeum, Homebush, Quay, RAAB ... four live performances. I just played Homebush. Fans of the wildest reaches of Can's Tago Mago: dive in ........ 4) Can - Future Days ... I've now owned this record in one form or another for forty years. Yup, that's how old it is now. Wears the years very lightly, and I haven't played it nearly enough in recent times ....... 5) King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon ... hadn't heard this for years and years. Much better than I recalled ........ 6) Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece ... Along with St Dominic's Preview, my favourite of his, not played much recently, just needed a fix of You Don't Pull Your Punches.... better now ......... 7) Love - Da Capo ...... 8) Astra - The Weirding ... A grower, this. Had a bit of it as a earworm for days. Fek its back
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Nov 10, 2013, 20:13
M.S.B.R. - Collapseland

C.C.C.C - Rocket Shrine
Both japanese harsh noise / power electronics records. Hearing it just for fun, I guess it's pretty pointless stuff.

Borbetomagus / Hijokaidan - Both Noises End Burning
Free jazz / harsh noise meltdown!

Anthony Braxton / Milford Graves / William Parker - Beyond Quantum

Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre - Humility in the Light of Creator

Cabaret Voltaire - Red Mecca

Subarachnoid Space - Almost Invisible
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2013, 20:30
Nov 10, 2013, 20:25
Woowee! So much great music!

In a year of fantastic sounds, has there been a single greater record than Teeth of the Sea's Master? I seriously doubt it. A future classic and a complete Master-piece. Faultless, rocking, barmy and brilliant. And utterly wonderfully mind-expanding - the very definition of psychedelic.

Earthless - From The Ages, Sonic Prayer and Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky
Hadn't heard much Earthless until recently, but now I'm completely hooked. Got the CD of the new one, From The Ages and it blew me away. Got the downloads of Sonic Prayer and Rhythms.. off Amazon for a fiver the pair - well worth it. Fantastic rocking and madly heavy psychelic sounds. These have been shaking the foundations all weekend.

Bardo Pond - Peace On Venus
Ace grungey psychedelic noise. Absolutely rocking and out there on the horizon. Feels like it has left the solar system on a wave of fuzz.

Cat Stevens - Teaser and The Firecat, Mona Bone Jakon
Really enjoying the acidic folky vibe of these.

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
This blew me away after years of not hearing it. One of Sly and Robbie's peaks. The title track itself is an utter classic, and well worth turning your hifi up to 11 to hear again.

The Bevis Frond - White Numbers
Weird Owl - Build Your Beast a Fire
Two top albums. Both of these have been getting many repeat plays this week. Both fit the bill of modern psychedelia, and are flipping good at it too.

And while we're on the subject, on Twitter the bloke from Weird Owl recommended me I "Am The Centre - Private Issue New Age Music In America 1950-1990", a triple album set. It is available on MP3 for the paltry sum of $9. Although cheesy in places, it revisits the "best" of new age music, and some of it is very very good - psychedelic and magical. A fascinating listen, and worthy just for the re-evaluation of this much-derided genre. See here for clips and to get the MP3s:
http://lightintheattic.net/releases/943-i-am-the-center-private-issue-new-age-music-in-america-1950-1990

The Heads - Inner Space Broadcasts Vol 2
Jade Warrior - Last Autumn's Dream
Traffic - Mr Fantasy

Spirit - Son Of Spirit, 12 Dreams, Spirit of '76, Future Games, Live at the Rainbow
Research for doing a version of Nature's Way for a future compilation ;)

Deva Premal - Sings The Moola Mantra
Probably far too chocolate box-middle of the road for most of you...it is a wonderful CD for doing yoga too. She has a voice that just...IS. Utterly in the moment. Very beautiful and very spiritual. Listen here if you're interested:
http://youtu.be/TTRfSfjNeCo

Bandcamp corner:

Jodie Lowther - Klepsydra
Brilliantly spooky electronics
https://jodielowther.bandcamp.com/album/klepsydra

Pye Corner Audio - Black Mill Tapes Vol 3
Splendid hauntological warbles
https://pyecorneraudio.bandcamp.com/album/black-mill-tapes-vol-3

The Luck of Eden Hall - Alligators Eat Gumdrops and Belladonna Marmalade
Two fantastically old-school psych albums. Highly recommended
https://theluckofedenhall.bandcamp.com/album/alligators-eat-gumdrops
https://theluckofedenhall.bandcamp.com/album/belladonna-marmalade

Earthling Society - Brotherhood of Cod
Fab comp from our Fred :)
https://earthlingsocietycouk.bandcamp.com/album/brotherhood-of-the-cod-13-tales-from-a-fylde-coast-fish-cult

Phew! What a week! Ain't music wonderful? :)
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Nov 10, 2013, 21:02
This could be my most limited week of listening for ages - probably because I've been to 4 gigs during the week - The Necks, LSO x2 (Berlioz season) and the Royal Opera (Berg's Wozzeck). Then my listening was dominated by Grails and Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet.

Grails - Black Tar Prophecies Vols 4-6. I think I did this a disservice last week implying it couldn't be as well constructed as a whole album, as say Deep Politics or Burning Off Impurities, as it was a collection of EPs. I think I was wrong - there's a nice symmetry to the track listing to my ears. And each listen reveals more depth. The interplay between acoustic guitars, electonics, flutes and mellotron lines in Ice Station Zebra is magnificent.

Carlton Melton - Always Even.
Aiden Baker - Aneira. Beautiful

Rautavarra: Canctus Arcticus and Piano Concerto No.1

Berlioz - Romeo and Juliet. Saw this genre-defying piece performed during the week by the LSO, it was a work I wasn't really familiar with but thought it was amazing live and have played on heavy rotation since... slowly sinking into its genius.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Nov 10, 2013, 21:08
Squid Tempest wrote:

In a year of fantastic sounds, has there been a single greater record than Teeth of the Sea's Master? I seriously doubt it. A future classic and a complete Master-piece. Faultless, rocking, barmy and brilliant. And utterly wonderfully mind-expanding - the very definition of psychedelic.

You're better now Squid by the sounds of it!?

Agree - TOTS is a cracker. This is the first week I've not listened to it actually. Did you notice they're playing in Islington (not the Lexington though!) on Saturday 11th Jan?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 10, 2013, 21:44
riverman wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

You're better now Squid by the sounds of it!?

Agree - TOTS is a cracker. This is the first week I've not listened to it actually. Did you notice they're playing in Islington (not the Lexington though!) on Saturday 11th Jan?

Feeling much better now thanks! A real relief actually, it was getting me down.

Not sure I did see they were playing Islington then. I need to think about it, as I'm considering saving all my holiday from here on in in order to be able to do a yoga teacher training course next year. This may mean an enforced gig absence, sadly.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 10, 2013, 21:50
Hail!

Rainbow - Difficult to Cure
AC/DC - Powerage / Ballbreaker
Robin George - Dangerous Music
HIM - Dark Light
Discharge - Society's Victims (disc 1)
Captain Beyond - st

Anta - Centurionaut. This is fab! Kind of instrumental doom-prog with heavy riffs married to Heep style keys and even King Crimson moments of discord, but it all hangs together in such a compelling way. This is apparently their 2nd album so the first is a must sniff on the strength of this. Like lots!

Gonga - Concrescence. Metal Hamster gave this a bit of a 'meh' review, but I'm loving it m'self. The stripped down, instrumental power trio format seems to have had the effect of giving the band more freedom to explore their journeys into the dark-heart of riffdom. Powerful and potent!

Modern Jazz Quartet - Django
Sondura - Undivided. Nice, modern, quite polished Brit metal, but got a lot of punch.

Unifaun - ST. A real curio this, but a good'un (should you like this sort of tackle). An album made by two multi-instrumentalists that is deliberately done in the style of yer classic prog era Genesis (Thanks Ian!) It's like a tribute band...but of all new songs done in a style harking back to a particular form of pastoral prog. Must've done the job to an extent cos the lead singer got the Hackett/Genesis Re-Visited gig on the strength of it. Life imitating art imitating... It's so lovingly crafted and detailed it makes me smile. The ultimate fan letter in a way. Prog now as made then.

Chick Corea - Vigil
Menagerie - They Shall Inherit
Dio - Dream Evil
Deamon's Child - ST
Brian Augur Trinity - BeFour
Elves - Electric Elves/Elves (RJ Dio's first band's early recordings)
Down - NOLA/ II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow.
Darkness Dynamite - Under the Painted Sky
Animals As Leaders - ST

Have a nice week x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index