Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 September 2013 CE
Sep 15, 2013, 16:08
Sin Agog wrote:
I saw them perform the Suspiria soundtrack live a few months ago, so I'd say that and their score to another Fulci Giallo, Deep Red. Haven't listened to everything of theirs like realapes (love the way he systematically goes through an artist's discography :D), so I'd be interested in what else he'd recommend.

Always liked the Italian horror flicks - low budget, lurid colours, plots that seldom made any sense whatsoever, but with sparks of pure inspiration. Hence the interest in Goblin. The killer blow was dealt by that marvellous film "Berberian Sound Studio". High time I listened to a bit of Goblin.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 16:43
I love Italian horrors. Most of them are about as logical and magical as a dream, and they have some of the best soundtracks on the planet, like Fabio Frizzi's The Beyond score and a ton of Ennio Morricone stuff like Woman in a Lizard's Skin (my favourite Morricone cut).
1001realapes
1001realapes
2392 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 16:46
Sep 15, 2013, 16:44
"Any recommendations for a good intro into the music of Goblin? "

Roller

Suspiria

excellent intros !

Zombi / Dawn of the Dead also essential
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 19:06
Sep 15, 2013, 17:01
Knifeworld - Dear Lord, No Deal E.P
I bought a few years back this after hearing Steve Davis play it on his radio show. Dug it out on hearing a new track yesterday. It's very dense, at times astonishing but ultimately the whole experience is a wee bit dull. That's Prog for you in the 21st century. The new video is quite good though and I like the atypical horn section very much. If the tunes ever stuck then this would be great progressive music. As it is it's "just" very clever.

Victor Jara - Canciones pĆ³stumas
This is admittedly something of a tokenistic listen for a non Spanish speaker. His vocal style would totally fit my definition of keening and some of the playing is quite brilliant. There are also some eccentric arrangement and production touches that make it that bit more than a slightly cobbled together epitaph. Six songs and a couple of tribute tracks do not a whole album make but as a testament to a great musician (whose actual talents sometimes get lost among the biographical horrors) it is unimprovable.

Miles Davis - Get Up With It and Circle In The Round
I should have bought those bloody On The Corner and Bitches Brew boxes when they were still readily available

Barbara Hannigan, Amsterdam Sinfonietta, Candida Thompson - Britten: Iluminations
Barbara Hannigan is fast becoming my favourite non-pop singer. Everything I have heard her do in terms of new music has engaged me to the point of being overwhelming at times and she makes me listen to already familiar music with fresh ears. Her Lulu is a work of genius. As for this record, I flip-flop on some of Britten's more precious moments (frankly any settings of Rimbaud poems could probably fit that definition like a glove) but this record certainly makes a believer out of me.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6224 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 17:25
1001realapes wrote:
V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1921

V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1922

These look brilliant, not aware of them before.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 17:38
D'oh! Forgot...

Astrohenge - Astrohenge/ II. Two fine slices of doom infused space metal with proggy keyboard twiddles and an enjoyable sense of the absurd going on. Nice.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2392 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 17:40
thesweetcheat wrote:
1001realapes wrote:
V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1921

V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1922

These look brilliant, not aware of them before.

They are wonderful !

http://www.archeophone.com/catalogue.php?cPath=21_22
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 17:44
Stevo wrote:
. The end of series 4 ends with all of the group being gunned down in a watered down take on Sam Peckinpah. Hope taht isn't too much of a spoiler for anybody.

Stevo

LOL! ;^)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6224 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 17:45
Just ordered the 1890s (vol 1) one.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 17:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
Just ordered the 1890s (vol 1) one.

Including: George W. Johnson ("The Whistling Coon")

Lovely.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index