Sensational Gigs?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 21, 2013, 04:04
Gary Numan on the Exile tour with Switchblade symphony was great.

Also Stereolab with Oliva tremor control

lastly The residents cube e tour was very good
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2013, 09:10
Aug 21, 2013, 09:02
Julian Cope - Manchester Academy 1992.
The Jehovahkill tour and my first Cope gig.
First Cope gig? Yup
Tripping? Yup
A wise move? Maybe not - I should have known when he took to the stage with an ominous "Prepare yourselves", yikes!
There then followed what I can only assume to be a fantastic performance, bearing in mind my altered state and the fact I had no prior reference points.
The evening included what appeared to be a total schizoid meltdown during Safesurfer (Cope, not me), a full-on cosmic-asshole mikestand version of Pulsar (presumably my hallucination, given that the mikestand in question was stood next to the merchandise stand as a raffle prize) and a belly-slashing Reynard The Fox (again, my hallucination - there was LOTS of blood)*. And that was the tip of the cosmic iceberg.
A mythological shamanic experience - oh yeah! The doors between the known and unknown (or real and unreal) truly blown open that night.
Wait till I see those goddamn bats!

*I never used to have actual 'hallucinations' whilst tripping, usually just colours and distortion so figured Cope must have been channelling something fairly deep to trigger hyperreal 'visions' - even if they were merely images directly connected with the songs and straight outta the Julian Cope mythos.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 21, 2013, 09:34
Moon Cat wrote:
Solus 3 with Damo Suzuki at the Purcell Room, Southbank Centre. Yes, yes, I know they're mates and I'm usually their photo gibbon and all that, but it was properly great.

You are very kind. Shame we had the full house for the duff night and it was half full for the stormer. I hope we are going to be putting the Damo set out as an album next year. Fingers firmly crossed!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Aug 21, 2013, 09:44
Keep us posted on that one, please. I've really been enjoying the remix album, btw.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 21, 2013, 11:43
Charlie2300 wrote:
There's some crackers in here - Cluster in a swimming pool in Sunderland!!! If I'd known about that, I would have girded my loins and travelled south of the river for that.

...and Wall of Voodoo. When Stan the man was at the helm, they were a glorious band. Saw them a couple of times in London as the headline act. Very tight live and Stan was such a charismatic frontman. "Ring Of Fire" and the sphagetti cowboy homage stick in the memory.

It was after Stan left that I saw them, still an incredible band though, still rate the first post Ridgeway LP

talking south of the river, I forgot about Bong at Durham Fishtank, far and away the best I've seen them, small room ,big volume and digging deep into the Hawkwind vein that night,cosmic stuff
mcshafty
mcshafty
86 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2013, 12:06
Aug 21, 2013, 11:45
Great thread, but where do you start?

Jimmy Sommerville - Red Wedge 80s - What a dancer!

Smiths - Carlisle 80s? - Meat is Murder

Pogues - Playhouse 80s - Getting thrown out and meeting Spider Stacey's girlfriend in the pub next door. She took us backstage after the gig. Shane McGowan passed out and me and Shaun pinched his grapes (that sounds a bit rude now!)

Buddy Guy and Junior Wells - Queens Hall 80s

Mike Heron Band with Frank Usher on guitar - Queens Hall 80s

John Martyn - Somewhere in Edinbugh 80s - Nice guy - he showed me an open tuning on guitar after the show.

Julian Cope - Jehovakill tour - Glasgow Barrowlands (Maybe it was the Peggy Suicide tour - I bought the anal CD)

Every time that the Sativa Drummers busted a club in Edinburgh in the early 90s

Ween - Chocolate & Cheese tour - King Tuts? Wherever it was it was the fucking bomb!

Basement Jaxx - Big Day Out - Seeing the crowd bounce in a wave from the front to the back as they went into Where's Your Head At

Scanner - Somewhere in Melbourne late 90s. He played the whole gig out of a little suitcase. His gear was in the suitcase, not him.

Brian Wilson Pet Sounds - Melbourne (old fart territory now! But still Magic)

Bob Log III - Melbourne - Bob body surfing the crowd in a rubber dingy and getting dropped. "Jesus Melbourne, I thought I could trust you!"

Dead Salesmen playing at my wedding.

BEST EVER? - Unknown Free Jazz Trio 3am - Pony Bar Melbourne late 90s or early 00s - glasses smashing, people screaming their own sax lines, great looking girls dancing on tables, fell down two flights of stairs and was so gone I didn't even bruise. Entry fee $5 Experience $Priceless.

And of course - every MC Shafty gig (I mostly played at Joe's Garage - HA HA)

WORST EVER? Easy - Velvet Underground, Playhouse

Some pretty hazy recollections here - I've been a strong cup of tea guy for a long time but I don't regret the past!!!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Aug 21, 2013, 11:51
mcshafty wrote:

It's more a problem of where you finish, in my case. I keep remembering more amazing gigs! I've just thought of an awesome gig in Worcester by The Cardiacs, supported by Sidi Bou Said, in about 1997.
mcshafty
mcshafty
86 posts

Aug 21, 2013, 12:15
Kid Calamity wrote:
mcshafty wrote:

It's more a problem of where you finish, in my case. I keep remembering more amazing gigs! I've just thought of an awesome gig in Worcester by The Cardiacs, supported by Sidi Bou Said, in about 1997.

So true, Kid.

Once you start they just keep coming. Just remembered the Cramps at a bingo hall, touching Iggy Pop (Blah, Blah, Blah tour - didn't wash for a fortnight) and even better Strawberry Switchblade lip syncing to a warped record at school disco.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Aug 21, 2013, 12:16
Bloody hell. The Cramps. There's another.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Aug 21, 2013, 12:50
Kid Calamity wrote:

Oh yeah! I saw them on that tour, at Leeds Duchess of York. They were brilliant, with little flags, water pistols, a quiz (Q: "what colour was Jim's turd?" A: "black") and group finale of "Big Ship" with Sidi Bou Said on stage with them. I've seen them a few times since at the Astoria in London, but that Duchess gig was the best of the lot. Nice one!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index