Unsung Forum »
Sensational Gigs?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 20, 2013, 19:33
And of course more keep coming to mind but I really do have to mention the 3 times I saw EST (Esbjorn Svenson Trio) , just cos they were so amazing, so complete and harmonious in form and function that it was always a delight to behold - in the presence of something special.

And Courtney Pine has always been a blast live, non-more so when he curated and performed at this Commonwealth Celebration gig with loads of musicians onstage from all over the aforementioned Commonwealth at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Aug 20, 2013, 19:41
Another I must mention: Rufus Wainwright at the Hall For Cornwall, Truro, a few years back. Not a bloke that springs to mind when thinking about weird/mind-expanding music, but it was an incredible night. I had an out of body experience and was 'watching' the gig from two places: my seat in the front row of the circle and from right up at the ceiling (I was driving and stone cold sober, I should add). Two gigs for the price of one, you could say. And he showed us his bum.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Aug 20, 2013, 19:48
Ooh, and the Neil Cowley Trio, in Amsterdam a few months ago.

And, I must make special mention to the Human League. In 1979, the idea of a band supporting the Stranglers without a drumkit or guitars was just... "Uhn? Wha?" and then the big pulsating beats started and a bloke with a wonky haircut walked out.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Aug 20, 2013, 19:57
Incoming Traveller wrote:
Another I must mention: Rufus Wainwright at the Hall For Cornwall, Truro, a few years back. Not a bloke that springs to mind when thinking about weird/mind-expanding music, but it was an incredible night. I had an out of body experience and was 'watching' the gig from two places: my seat in the front row of the circle and from right up at the ceiling (I was driving and stone cold sober, I should add). Two gigs for the price of one, you could say. And he showed us his bum.

That's a good story.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2013, 23:00
Aug 20, 2013, 22:44
the Smiths - Liverpool uni 1983
cabaret Voltaire - krackers club, Liverpool, 1984
trouble funk - international 2, Manchester, 1987
salif keita - international 2, Manchester, 1988
gil scott heron - international, 1988
fishbone, international, 1988
art blakey/ jazz messengers - wigan jazz fest, 1987
ornette coleman/ prime time - Manchester poly, 1988
Bootsy Collins - sankeys soap, Manchester, can't remember year
Oscar Peterson, free trade hall, Manchester, can't remember year
kraftwerk/ steve reich - velodrome, Manchester, 2008
whitehouse - leeds 1998
incapacitants - ufo club, Tokyo, 2005
jah wobble/ deep space - band on wall, Manchester, 2006
stan tracey/ Kenny wheeler - band on wall, Manchester, 1989
keith rowe/ colin potter - burst couch, Manchester, 2007
acr/ section 25/ biting tongues - plan k, Brussels, 2008
loads more but can't remember for now.

hope Ginger Baker gig at Ronnie scotts next week will add to the list too.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2013, 23:03
Aug 20, 2013, 22:55
"Michael Cretu Sextet (or sometimes trio!) playing with Myke Wilson - one of the most amazing drummers I've seen, Matt & Phreds, Manc Jazz 2012"

think I was at that one though would have spotted one another .. definitely a Myke Wilson/ sextet gig at the club in 2012 - could have played a few times though. Did they feature a girl on flugel horn? If so, she tried to cop off with my ex girlfriend after the gig and was a bit of a religious nutcase too, I'll never forget that night!

8)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2013, 23:11
Aug 20, 2013, 23:09
dave clarkson wrote:
"Michael Cretu Sextet (or sometimes trio!) playing with Myke Wilson - one of the most amazing drummers I've seen, Matt & Phreds, Manc Jazz 2012"

think I was at that one though would have spotted one another .. definitely a Myke Wilson/ sextet gig at the club in 2012 - could have played a few times though. Did they feature a girl on flugel horn? If so, she tried to cop off with my ex girlfriend after the gig and was a bit of a religious nutcase too, I'll never forget that night!

8)

It was Double bass, piano and drums as a trio with three brass added occasionally. I think 2 of te 3 brass were women. It was certainly billed as part of that years Manc Jazz thing, so it woulda been in late July cos we had to book it in advance at the box office in Albert Square and it was billed as Michael Cretu Sextet. Surely I would've seen you there cos we were there til kicking out and I had a chat with Myke Wilson after.
Possibly a different gig, but he seems to play there all the time.

Yours sounds like quite a night though! 8^)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Aug 20, 2013, 23:23
Yeah must have been another night. The jazz fest 2012 gigs I recall going to were graham Clark at town hall marquee, Paul kilvington at Bridgwater foyer and another group at the town hall marquee who sounded like grover Washington type stuff - very 'pebble mill at one'

:)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 20, 2013, 23:33
dave clarkson wrote:
Yeah must have been another night. The jazz fest 2012 gigs I recall going to were graham Clark at town hall marquee, Paul kilvington at Bridgwater foyer and another group at the town hall marquee who sounded like grover Washington type stuff - very 'pebble mill at one'

:)

Most of the stuff I went to was free but we, that is me and me dad, went to a few booked things that year.

Saw nowt this year. Wasn't well at the time. Plus, seemed much reduced in scope and hardly any free gigs it seemed. Cutbacks I guess, but I'll be surprised if it's on next year 8^(
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Aug 20, 2013, 23:58
Probably the best gig I ever went to was PJ Harvey in Leeds (T&CC) in 1995, on the To Bring You My Love tour, supported by Tricky.

Wonderful sound and very striking visuals, finishing with a terrific version on "Goodnight" with Polly striking the stage with the tip of a cane, in time to the beat.

Otherwise, various Wedding Present gigs (especially Leeds Poly, December 1992, when they finished with "Heather").

Lots of Durutti Column gigs, particularly the horizontal moshpit at Shrewsbury Buttermarket when Vini played a cross-legged solo "Albatross" and "Salford Harmonics" and a couple of fine table-and-wine efforts at Ronnie Scotts, one supported by John Metcalfe. Oh, and the Paean To Wilson one in London.

Nick Cave at Manchester Apollo on the Lyre of Orpheus tour, with brilliant backing singers and lighting.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index