80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 10:34
Re: Reggae - Where to Start?
Aug 14, 2013, 08:50
I'm with you on that recordmendation. Utterly bland name but if you want a pristinely-recorded alternative to all those lo-fi roots reggae acts, those Basic Channel dudes' take on reggae, with some excellent raw vocalists over their hermetically-sealed beats, is a worthy listen. Their label also put out a dubby compilation called Basic Replay that I really like.

I also have to say that Dancehall and the like has a lot to give to those willing to receive. I used to be one of those "I love roots reggae but all that noisy dancehall crap can smeg off" types, but as with most things in music I soon found out it's extremely easy to hate things I know very little about, and much more difficult once I've actually done some research and culled things I like from the genre. I think the first Dancehall record that reeled me in was a comp also put out by Basic Replay of a precocious 15 year old kid's recordings, White Mice - It's a Shame.

EDIT: Lester Bangs wrote a huge, wonderful article on Jamaica in 1976, when reggae was far from being standard listening in households and colleges in America. As well as describing a huge Nyabinghi block party led by Dadawah, it includes a revealing interview with Bob Marley, who seemed pretty into his brand new cadillac. I might write it up some day as I can't find it online. It's up there with the top two or three things Lester Bangs ever wrote.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index