80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 00:38
Re: Reggae - Where to Start?
Aug 14, 2013, 00:31
Also Dadawah under another name, and with some absolutely mental Lee Perry production: Ras Michael - Love Thy Neighbour

Those Trojan boxes are almost all uniformly ace, by the way. I always thought the ultra-melodic, honeyed strains of Rocksteady would be a good in to reggae music for someone outside of the world, but it doesn't get spoken about as much as some other Jamaican music. Trojan's Rocksteady box is one of my favourite comps. A friend of mine got me into their Lover's Rock one as well recently, which surprised me as I figured it was more on the schlock end of the Jamaican spectrum, but it was pretty much just an '80s version of Rocksteady. I.e. really good and pretty. (Not rec'ing anything in this paragraph, by the way. Just scatting about Trojan boxsets).

A few other things worth looking into are:

Cedric Im Brooks & The Light of Saba - The Magical Light of Saba (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndalfixsJJw)
The Abyssinians - Sata Masa Gana
The Mighty Diamonds - Right Time
Poet and the Roots - Dread Beat an' Blood
The Congos - Heart of The Congos (recently saw them perform at Glastonbury)
Johnny Osbourne - Truth & Rights
Ijahman - Haile I Hymn
Sugar Minott at Studio One
Black Uhuru - Showcase (Black Uhuru are playing here in a few days, I think)
Sylford Walker - Lamb's Bread
Yabby You - Jesus Dread
The Heptones - On Top
For On-U-Sound this is my fave release, and it's way crazy: Missing Brazilians - Warzone
Safi Abdullah - Another One Gone (Disco Reggae?)

For Dub Bullwackies are king. There's also a V.A called King of Dub that's the best straight-up dub thing I own.

Plus this is on youtube in full: Raiders of the Lost Dub (Indiana Jones dub!)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index