Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 May 2013 CE

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 May 2013 CE
May 26, 2013, 22:49
Diaspora - Natacha Atlas
Some genuinely great moments on this 90’s album from the wonderful NA.

Aladdin Sane – David Bowie
A tribute to Trevor Bolder. As a friend said “it’s a sign we’re getting older when all our idols disappear”.

Head On – Die Haut
This 1992 album passed me by at the time, but it’s a great discovery. Features more guests than you could shake a stick at – Blixa Bargeld, Kim Gordon, Debbie Harry, Lydia Lunch, Alan Vega, etc.

LA Woman / Bright Midnight (Live In America) – The Doors
And I played these as a little tribute to Ray Manzarek. His autobiography might be so pretentious that it’s funny at times, but his playing is unrivalled. I heard Chris Evans play the full-length version of Light My Fire the following morning and I wasn’t far from having a tear in my eye hearing that fabulous lengthy instrumental break.

Nevermind – Nirvana
Played this again – loving hearing tracks Stay Away like with its Adrian Borland –like guitar stabs.

Rockers Meets King Tubbys In A Firehouse – Augustus Pablo
I heard the title track of this on Peel all those years ago and loved it. Bought this sometime afterwards and it’s still one of my fave reggae albums. The Uptown LP is much better known and I love that, too, but I’d probably go for this one out of the two. The track that really did it for me this week is Dub In A Matthews Lane Arena which closes side one. A dub classic. I posted it on FB and the sun came out! ; )

Also...
Rave-O-Lution – Julian Cope
Visitations - Clinic
Dead Magick – Dead Skeletons
Ancient Romans – Sun Araw
Colossal Youth – Young Marble Giants

Unsung Forum Index