13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 26, 2013, 11:21
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 May 2013 CE
May 26, 2013, 10:28
Christa Ludwig, Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra - Wagner: Wesendonck Lieder

Reginald Goodall and ENO Orchestra and Chorus - Wagner: Gotterdammerung (Twilight Of The Gods) (Sung In English)

Berliner Philharmoniker & Herbert von Karajan - Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen

The Decca Solti highlights or budget Haitink highlights sets will fill a Ring sized gap just fine for most people but every now and again I have to go the whole hog. It has been hard to escape the Wagner Borg ship this week and that has wiped out most other listening. Even then I haven't finished the whole thing. Resistance is futile.

Kenny Wheeler, Norma Winstone & London Vocal Project - Mirrors

Gets better by the week. Recommended for anyone with a soft spot for "Place Vendome" harmonies and the poetry of Stevie Smith but musically it is closer to the ECM aesthetic than the MJQ / Swingles. The Les Double Six version of Coltrane's Naima might be an even closer comparison. I could still do without two of the three Lewis Carroll tracks. This could have been one of the all time great tip-to-toe vocal jazz albums without them.

William Winant, Deborah Dietrich, Karen Rosenak, David Abel - Feldman : Rothko Chapel / Why Patterns

Graham Bond - The Sound Of 65 / There Is A Bond Between Us
Dave Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name....
Herbie Hancock- River, The Joni Letters
Eloy - Floating

Unsung Forum Index