Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: Your Favourite Small Venue (UK)
May 23, 2013, 21:24
The Hidden Corner wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Davey_B wrote:
Not sure about their definition of a small venue. The Concorde 2 in Brighton is not in my opinion in any way, shape or form a small venue.

If they wanted a small but excellent venue in Brighton then the Prince Albert would have been my choice.

This is the NME, so I'm guessing they mean if it holds less than 60% of Kanye West's audience it's considered a pisshole.

Definitely agree about the King Albert. I've been to the Concorde 2 countless times because, a) it's right on my doorstep, and b) they always seem to draw the best acts, but I don't know what it is about that place but the acoustics do tend to sound a bit washed-out for some reason unbeknownst to my sonically-ignorant self.

Out of Brighton, I'd vote for the Blind Tiger Club.

Agree with all the above - some sort of Brighton loyalty made me consider voting for Concorde 2 but I don't like the place very much - as others have noted, it's not that small a venue and it's not particularly comfortable - although we're still lucky to have it. I also like the Prince Albert and Blind Tiger Club (even though ceiling is absurdly low it has loads of character). Also like The Green Door Store - a very unique venue and definitely small.

While we're being Brighton-centric, I'd definitely go for the Prince Albert. Great beer, great sound, great bar staff, and a John Peel mural on the outside wall!

Blind Tiger is nice and loud, but the draught beer is often dodgy, the bar staff are grumpy and the toilets can be a right state. So less keen.

Very fond of the Concorde, but as has been pointed out, it's hardly small.

I used to go to the Hebden Bridge Trades loads back in the day; promoted gigs there, played there in various bands. It's a bit more boutique now isn't it? Seems very trendy. I remember booking a girl punk band from Detroit there called Inside Out, and all these travellers tried to get in without paying (and you really strictly had to be a member back then too). It turned into a riot, the police turned up mob-handed with dogs, the band were cowering in their dressing room... I was all of 18 at the time, co-promoting with my 16-year-old sister. Them were the days...
dave clarkson
2988 posts

May 23, 2013, 21:38
...played the Trades with our band Triclops years ago. Memorable for getting that out of it that we nearly fell in the canal and ended up losing some of our stuff there. Can't remember how we got home to Manchester or the gig itself for that matter.

8)
Arts4every1
38 posts

May 25, 2013, 16:49
Well, I must plug my own- Wycombe Arts4every1 Centre. Although I didn't choose the name!! It's got a unique atmosphere, and two halls, one holding 350-400 and the other 100. Intimate and quaint yet still with an air of rock n roll about it.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Edited May 26, 2013, 21:27
May 26, 2013, 21:27
Joiners - deffo

:o)

On that list anyhoo.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited May 27, 2013, 01:45
May 27, 2013, 01:40
Davey_B wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Davey_B wrote:
Not sure about their definition of a small venue. The Concorde 2 in Brighton is not in my opinion in any way, shape or form a small venue.

If they wanted a small but excellent venue in Brighton then the Prince Albert would have been my choice.

This is the NME, so I'm guessing they mean if it holds less than 60% of Kanye West's audience it's considered a pisshole.

Definitely agree about the King Albert. I've been to the Concorde 2 countless times because, a) it's right on my doorstep, and b) they always seem to draw the best acts, but I don't know what it is about that place but the acoustics do tend to sound a bit washed-out for some reason unbeknownst to my sonically-ignorant self.

Out of Brighton, I'd vote for the Blind Tiger Club.

I think I preferred the Blind Tiger when the stage was at the front. It's a bit more tricky now to get to the bar or the gents...

Just come back from The Orb feat percussive/yelpy/dancey Ghanaian dewds and I'm with you now. Plus it feels like stepping into a rainforest when the place is semi-full. Open a couple of windows, guyze! Still, not gonna stop me from catching Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel there on Tuesday.

EDIT: Also finally noticed my "King Albert" slip-up. Dunce's hat time.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index