Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Re: Your Favourite Small Venue (UK)
May 22, 2013, 15:20
Is the Zap Club still there?

VOTE FOR THE TRADES! We've had Patti Smith, Thurston Moore, The Fall, Julian Cope and The Pretty Things - in a venue that holds less than 200. Good beer too.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

May 22, 2013, 15:55
Valve wrote:
Is the Zap Club still there?

Technically, not really. It renamed itself to Digital and, like every other club on the seafront save for Concorde 2 and the more hip hop-oriented Volks, it's become the haunts of rowdy Londoners and charts-fanatics to whom music is an afterthought and getting wrecked is their prime directive. You might still catch some big-name DJs, but long gone are its Hacienda-of-the-South daze.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

May 22, 2013, 16:00
Gave the Trades my vote, by the way. Not sure if it was counted or not, though.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

May 22, 2013, 16:18
I think they've changed it, now. Somebody who's been there must've told them.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

May 22, 2013, 16:24
Nice one.

damo suzuki's played there as well of course.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

May 22, 2013, 16:36
I've only visited two of that list. Whilst being very impressed with the Corcorde II, recently - I gave my vote to Band On The Wall, as I liked the whole vibe and the split level arrangement. And besides, that's where i met Spencer.
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

May 22, 2013, 17:29
Sin Agog wrote:
Davey_B wrote:
Not sure about their definition of a small venue. The Concorde 2 in Brighton is not in my opinion in any way, shape or form a small venue.

If they wanted a small but excellent venue in Brighton then the Prince Albert would have been my choice.

This is the NME, so I'm guessing they mean if it holds less than 60% of Kanye West's audience it's considered a pisshole.

Definitely agree about the King Albert. I've been to the Concorde 2 countless times because, a) it's right on my doorstep, and b) they always seem to draw the best acts, but I don't know what it is about that place but the acoustics do tend to sound a bit washed-out for some reason unbeknownst to my sonically-ignorant self.

Out of Brighton, I'd vote for the Blind Tiger Club.

I think I preferred the Blind Tiger when the stage was at the front. It's a bit more tricky now to get to the bar or the gents...
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

May 23, 2013, 19:40
Sin Agog wrote:
Davey_B wrote:
Not sure about their definition of a small venue. The Concorde 2 in Brighton is not in my opinion in any way, shape or form a small venue.

If they wanted a small but excellent venue in Brighton then the Prince Albert would have been my choice.

This is the NME, so I'm guessing they mean if it holds less than 60% of Kanye West's audience it's considered a pisshole.

Definitely agree about the King Albert. I've been to the Concorde 2 countless times because, a) it's right on my doorstep, and b) they always seem to draw the best acts, but I don't know what it is about that place but the acoustics do tend to sound a bit washed-out for some reason unbeknownst to my sonically-ignorant self.

Out of Brighton, I'd vote for the Blind Tiger Club.

Agree with all the above - some sort of Brighton loyalty made me consider voting for Concorde 2 but I don't like the place very much - as others have noted, it's not that small a venue and it's not particularly comfortable - although we're still lucky to have it. I also like the Prince Albert and Blind Tiger Club (even though ceiling is absurdly low it has loads of character). Also like The Green Door Store - a very unique venue and definitely small.
keith a
9573 posts

May 23, 2013, 19:53
The Hidden Corner wrote:

some sort of Brighton loyalty made me consider voting for Concorde 2 but I don't like the place very much - as others have noted, it's not that small a venue and it's not particularly comfortable - although we're still lucky to have it.

Only been there once - it' a bit far for me! - but I saw Wire play an absolute blinder there about 10 years back.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited May 23, 2013, 21:29
May 23, 2013, 21:12
I've played gigs at 4 of those venues and got to say the 12 bar was the oddest and most interesting one.
The band on the wall although its really not that small remains my favourite venue. It's superb and if you get there early and first in then you can rush upstairs and secure the end balcony table overlooking the stage. It doesn't get any better than that, Lots of great gigs and memories...sun ra arkestra, pharaoh sanders, mad professor, acr, flora purim and airto and roadie-ing for jah wobble's deep space as well!

8)
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index