John Grant

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

John Grant
May 16, 2013, 14:47
Queen of Denmark and Pale Green Ghosts are awesome records! Am I alone here? Never heard a single song of The Czars but I'm temped now. Sugestions? Thanks.
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Re: John Grant
May 17, 2013, 07:43
You are not alone. "Queen of Denmark" took me quite by surprise. I have still to hear his latest offering and have not experienced the Czars yet ...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 18, 2013, 08:52
May 17, 2013, 09:17
Who is he?

Last couple of years there are more and more new artists on here I haven't explored. I think I might be suffering from "memory full" syndrome!

What I could really use is a monthly podcast like the video designed for freed long term hostages that the DOSAC minister has to watch in The Thick Of it. Not even joking.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

May 17, 2013, 18:53
I'm a fan of those albums too but haven't investigated The Czars.
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

May 17, 2013, 20:14
naughtynige wrote:
I'm a fan of those albums too but haven't investigated The Czars.

I was lucky enough to see them at Hammersmith Lyric in about 2005. I think they toured a bit as support to David Grey (I know!)

Off to see JG in Cambridge tomorrow night; should be great.

Did you see he got his laptop stolen from Brighton last night? Who would do that sort of thing? Hope he gets it back
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

May 18, 2013, 10:27
Yeah, been enjoying those great fat synth noises on 'Pale Ghosts'. Great voice too, just not sure about some of those lyrics, a tad sixth form angsty. On the whole,musically, works for me though.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

May 19, 2013, 16:53
He's a recent discovery to me as well. I love the way he marries such bitter and twisted lyrics with lovely tunes, making those words even more disturbing as a result. Maybe he's a bit too candid for comfortable listening, but what a welcome change from singer-songwriter blandness. Chris de Burgh he ain't.
Sounder
Sounder
303 posts

May 20, 2013, 19:43
Big fan too - has a way with a lovely melody and mmmmmmm nice synth sounds
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: John Grant on Later tonight
May 21, 2013, 18:34
He's on Later With Jools tonight, so maybe people can judge for themselves how good he is from that.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 21, 2013, 18:56
Re: John Grant on Later tonight
May 21, 2013, 18:56
Fitter Stoke wrote:
He's on Later With Jools tonight, so maybe people can judge for themselves how good he is from that.

I listened to the album stream on KCRW and didn't really get it

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/ap/ap130513john_grand_pale_gree

then again I didn't get Fischerspooner either. That sound palette pales very quickly for me so I am the worst possible judge in some ways.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index