Texas Psych

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: Texas Psych
Jan 16, 2013, 21:07
Yeah, the Conqueroo keep cropping up in my researches but I've yet to hear much by them. Vulcan Gas Co indeed a legendary venue, replaced in the early 70s in Austin by the World Armadillo Headquarters, which was associated with the whole 'cosmic cowboy' scene- not really sure how cosmic much of that was.

Then there was Love Street Light Circus in Houston which seemed a cool venue, where the audience laid on slightly raised cushions on the floor to watch bands!

Got that Complete Moving Sidewalks CD on order, should hopefully be here in a few days. I notice the band have actually reformed, with Billy Gibbons, for a one-off show in New York too.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jan 16, 2013, 21:12
zphage wrote:
Texas:

SEOMPI
Children
Christopher
American Blues
Wailing Wall
Iota
Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit, and Greenhill

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R39K4U45247MGQ/ref=cm_pdp_lm_title_1

Zphage- wow, thanks, bar American Blues all that stuff was completely off my radar.

Had vaguely heard of Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit and Greenhill though, didn't they evolve into a 70s band called Space Opera who I saw mentioned in a Shindig! article a few years back?
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 16, 2013, 23:20
I'd also add BS contemporaries Nice Strong Arm from Austin, whose first album in particular is a great psyche post-punk blast http://youtu.be/7ej7nrYpLR8
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 17, 2013, 01:29
[quote="Hunter T Wolfe
Had vaguely heard of Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit and Greenhill though, didn't they evolve into a 70s band called Space Opera who I saw mentioned in a Shindig! article a few years back?

[/quote]

Yes, also T-Bone Burnett and the Alpha Band are all offspring
Sun Of Bytch
Sun Of Bytch
143 posts

Jan 17, 2013, 02:09
Stevo wrote:
I didn't say anything about Sir Douglas Quintet I was talking about this venue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_Gas_Company which according to that article was in Austin as I had thought.

Was correcting Popel Vooje's post, not yours Stevo.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 17, 2013, 09:13
your comment is attached as a reply to my post
Sun Of Bytch
Sun Of Bytch
143 posts

Jan 17, 2013, 16:32
Sorry about that then.
Johnny Boy
Johnny Boy
103 posts

Jan 17, 2013, 17:49
Shiva's Headband are another great Texan band.
Also, check out the Sonobeat Records website.
Numero put out a compilation called Lone Star Lowlands a while back which, whilst not being psych is a damn fine look at an early 70s local recording studios output.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jan 17, 2013, 18:09
Thanks!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 17, 2013, 22:18
Johnny Boy wrote:
Shiva's Headband are another great Texan band.
Also, check out the Sonobeat Records website.
Numero put out a compilation called Lone Star Lowlands a while back which, whilst not being psych is a damn fine look at an early 70s local recording studios output.

great call, Johnny Boy!

I knew there was someone I was missing.

Hope you are doing well in this new year.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index