Texas Psych

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Texas Psych
Jan 18, 2013, 01:15
Sun Of Bytch wrote:
Sir Doug were from San Antonio, not Houston.

You're right. I knew they were from San Antonio - not sure why I typed Houston. Must be the sleep deprivation!
Johnny Boy
Johnny Boy
103 posts

Jan 18, 2013, 06:10
Cheers - am doing fine.
Still trying to work through all the beer I got in for Christmas!!
HI DEN
HI DEN
815 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2013, 08:35
Jan 18, 2013, 08:35
This list looks pretty nifty (concerning the 60's): http://comps.soybomb.com/compsproject/location.php?&lifilter=4&sLocation=texas&litype=2&ssearch=1&lispeed=1

An then here's a small piece on texas scene in '90-'95 (if you scroll down a bit): http://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt53.html

Some recent one's: Book Of Shadows, Carlton Crutcher's (formerly of ST 37) droney experimental 'band'. Rrreverberationsss (whose 'Music For Psychedelic People' was played almost(?) entirely on one of the 'Tue'sday Night/Wodnesday Morning shows, btw..). Also, i think Heather Leigh Murray was born in Austin...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 04:23
Current Texian psych:

The Black Angels (indie rock popular)

Indian Jewelry (locally hip underground band; I've seen them, they're great)

Ringo Deathstarr (shoegazery JMC MBV etc.)

And this site might be worth a look: http://www.texaspsychedelicrock.com/
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 11:01
Stevo wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
It depends how deep in you want to wade.

Then there's the Conqueroo, an Austin band featuring Elevators co-writer Powell St.John, whose live act was, apparently, legendary enough to make them local heroes at the time - but who sadly only got it together to release one single, the marvellous "1 to 3"/"I've Got Time".

I don't think Powell St John was with the band very long. Don't think he's on any of the recordings I've heard.

Have hoped that the lp that came out on 5 Hours Back in the mid 80s would reappear since I only have it in Mp3 form and would love it in something better. Lp was called From The Vulcan gas co which was a famous Austin hippy venue. Music is like a more muscular/bluesy early Grateful Dead at least in its being heavily jammed psych stuff.

Stevo

Tried to find that LP in the NSA, but sadly it isn't there as the archive wasn't as well curated in terms of storing all new releases back in the 80s. I've been unable to find much info on how long Powell St.John was in the band, but he is on that one single they released according to AMG (although I realise AMG isn't always 100% infallible).
Johnny Boy
Johnny Boy
103 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 12:08
According to the sleeve notes on the live LP, Powell St John was replaced by Bob Brown in October 1966.
As the single wasn't released till 1968, I don't think its likely that Powell St John was on it.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 17:49
Johnny Boy wrote:
According to the sleeve notes on the live LP, Powell St John was replaced by Bob Brown in October 1966.
As the single wasn't released till 1968, I don't think its likely that Powell St John was on it.

Fair enough - the sleevenotes are more likely to be accurate than AMG. The latter have Alan Vega's birthdate down as being ten years later than it was, and until a few months ago they had Jackson C Frank listed as being still alive despite the fact that he died in 1999.
R K Withnell
19 posts

Feb 15, 2013, 12:18
Post-60s

The Burnin' Rain (1988-93)

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Burnin+Rain
marinade
marinade
306 posts

Feb 15, 2013, 12:54
The Stereo Shoestring's 'On The Road South' is a class bit of Texas psych, filleting the hard rock segments from The Pretty Things' 'Defecting Grey'. The Austin Landing LPs have some good stuff, though oddly not all the artists seem to be from Texas, so I'm not sure what the comp criterion was there.

Also a mention for The Clique, who were more bubblegum/pop, but whose Superman (covered by REM) is still pretty sunshine-trippy.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2390 posts

Oct 12, 2023, 16:33
Texas bump
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index