Unsung Forum »
T. Rex: ZINC ALLOY ... query

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Re: T. Rex: ZINC ALLOY ... query
Jan 13, 2013, 17:12
There was a Sun newspaper TV advert. I can clearly remember somebody folding the flaps over to reveal the big picture. I really wanted that version of the album.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Another T. Rex: 'ZINC ALLOY...' Query
Jan 13, 2013, 18:01
Before this album saw the light of day, I seem to remember hearing that it was originally to be titled 'Zinc Alloy & The Gunrunners'. Keith?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 18:08
Wilton Market in Erdington ... wanders off down memory lane ...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jan 13, 2013, 18:42
Jan 13, 2013, 18:34
I wandered through Wilton market on Saturday, it has seen better days but retains its charm. There is present still a formica kitted out 'wipe clean' greasy spoon judging by the bacon and oil hanging in the air. Sadly no records on sale there. I saw the second LP by Mighty Baby which I'd never seen for £7 but decided not to buy as the condition was appalling
keith a
9574 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 21:29
Ha!
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Another T. Rex: 'ZINC ALLOY...' Query
Jan 13, 2013, 21:36
Kid Calamity wrote:
Before this album saw the light of day, I seem to remember hearing that it was originally to be titled 'Zinc Alloy & The Gunrunners'. Keith?

Can't help, sorry. Don't remember ever hearing that before, though I do remember Bolan mentioning a wish to be known as Zinc Alloy in the Melody Maker booklet which was published circa March 1972 which if memory serves me correctly was pre-Ziggy!
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 23:24
Kid Calamity wrote:

My understanding is that the title of the record was going to be A CREAMED CAGE IN AUGUST, and it was to be credited to Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow, to mark a new phase. But the record company balked and that's why "Marc Bolan & T. Rex" is unartistically slapped onto the front.

Thanks for the the replies. This is more rare than I realized if there were only 1000 copies. I could never be swayed to pay that much (auction posted above) for a copy that was not in mint condition. Looks like it must have been very cool though!
keith a
9574 posts

Jan 14, 2013, 00:39
Glam Descendant wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:

My understanding is that the title of the record was going to be A CREAMED CAGE IN AUGUST, and it was to be credited to Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow, to mark a new phase. But the record company balked and that's why "Marc Bolan & T. Rex" is unartistically slapped onto the front.

Yes, I've heard that, too.

Glam Descendant wrote:

Thanks for the the replies. This is more rare than I realized if there were only 1000 copies. I could never be swayed to pay that much (auction posted above) for a copy that was not in mint condition. Looks like it must have been very cool though!

The standard gatefold sleeve is nice, too, in case you haven't got that. Lots of pics on the inside!

http://www.minilps.net/images/stories/shop_image/product/resized/Zinc%20gatefold_160x160.JPG
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Jan 14, 2013, 08:17
Jan 14, 2013, 08:15
I think Bolan must've been trying to break away from the pop thing and T.REX brand, around this time. He was hanging the name on it in '77, regardless of who the band consisted of. But, in the post Tanx period he was monkeying about with this new souly sound and even did tracks with others taking the lead vocal.

Big Carrot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mExr30o4W2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EylO3h1IU_E
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Almost one year later...
Jan 07, 2014, 05:15
Another original has surfaced -- wish I could afford it! Did this only go out to fan club members and never to the general public?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARC-BOLAN-T-REX-ZINC-ALLOY-RARE-SIGNED-LTD-NUMBERED-LP-MIRABELLE-LETTER-/230832412658?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Autographs_CV&hash=item35beaf17f2
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index