Ta!

End of.

Paragraph.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Re: Your latest buy
Aug 29, 2012, 13:24
Latest buy on vinyl was Hymns for the Hopeless by William Elliot Whitmore that I got from a second-hand charity sale at the weekend for £6. I admit I didn't know what I was buying but the gothy cover looked promising, and it was by far the most recent record in the box. He's a gruff voice, similar to Mark Lanegan maybe, with a sparse bit of banjo. Only played it once so far but it was good - atmospheric, gripping stuff, think I got a bargain.

Before that I got Alison Krauss' Paper Airplane some weeks ago (new & pricey!) Very nice, not as good New Favourite but still it's growing on me. I like to have it on while I'm cooking and drinking of a summer evening.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 29, 2012, 15:36
bubblehead2 wrote:
Bought a 5cd box of Isley Brothers records for a tenner. Only played the extremely funky The Brothers Isley so far and was much impressed. Looking forward to working through the other discs at work* tonight ( final one's 3 + 3 )

* will be with my new "shift wife" for 9 hours in the same office, thankfully he likes both funk and reggae which is a bit of a result for me.

Better than Bland FM that's for sure!

I really love that 70's funk period of the Isley Bros. 3 + 3 is a top album!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Aug 29, 2012, 17:38
Tangerine Dream 'Alpha Centauri' in a lovely audiophile vinyl reissue from Reactive, gatefold sleeve and all. Sounds so much better than the Castle CD of yore.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Aug 29, 2012, 20:23
Yeah, excellent records indeed !

Blown away by Ronald Isley's vocals on some of the tracks, what a voice he's got. Think Todd Rundgren might have been a bit of a fan too, er, only he sounds like he's auditioning for pop idol in comparison ( still love him though ).

Gonna have to get some more of their stuff now, heard an ace track on R6 the other day, Take It To The Next Phase, so i'll probably start with that.

Your Temptations comp is another possible purchase, i need more 70's funk in my life.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Aug 29, 2012, 21:13
Aug 29, 2012, 21:08
I was looking at a Motown anthology 2cd definitive compi thing by them last week. They seemed to be one of the most intense bands on the label around '65. Very gospel influenced and I think that was around the time Hendrix passed through at least their touring band.

Think I might grab that now.

There was also a 5cd set of their T-Neck material that came out some years back. Covered the era where they were covering hippy tracks and getting pretty funky at the same time.
Must listen through that.
Stevo

EDIT
God, only just realised that the 2nd of those is the set you're talking about. Hadn't realised it went up to 3+3 for some reason.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Aug 29, 2012, 22:18
Getting very tempted by the Isley's box listening to you too. And looking on Amazon there are some great soul box sets to be had - Wilson Pickett, Sly, Aretha, Bootsy...this could get expensive!
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2012, 07:37
Aug 30, 2012, 07:25
The T-Neck discs are well worth checking out, they really are top drawer. None of them pale against 3+3 ( the only one i was familiar with ), in fact i think with repeated plays i may even prefer them. To labour a point, Ronald isley's vocals are simply astonishing, as for the band, tight as a tourniquet springs to mind.

A bit like discovering in 1990ish that Funkadelic's Westbound recordings were even more to my taste then their better known releases on Warners.

The disc of covers, 'Givin' It Back' is one i need to delve into deeper, covers does it an injustice actually, radical re-workings would be closer to the truth.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2012, 07:45
Aug 30, 2012, 07:36
Have got the Bootsy box too, only played 'Stretchin Out' so far and must say it's badly in need of re-mastering, it sounded really flat to my ears, er, sounded better with the volume cranked though !

On first impressions, the Isley Brothers set really is worth a punt, and i think it's gonna grow on me too.

The Dr John box in the same series has been a real ear-opener too, a revelation in fact, highly recommended.

Only bummer for me is the text on the replica covers is in such small type that i can't read them without a magnifying glass !
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index