Re: Your latest buy
Aug 25, 2012, 00:26
The Animals - A's B's & EP's
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 25, 2012, 05:24
Goat - World Music (really growing on me. yes, it's instant but there's more that emerges with heavy rotation, i found anyway)

Six Organs of Admittance - Ascent (ditto)

Om - new one (noddness)

Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell - Don't Hear it.. Fear It (awesome!!!!)

Pontiacs - Bursting (can't recommend this highly enough. Cardinal Fuzz promises to be a special label based on this. this and the ASCS have been floating my boat big time this last monthish)

VA - Diggin' Down Argentina - Nuggets from the Rioplatense Scene 1969-75

Ariel Pink - Mature Themes (Kinski Assassin is a crackin' way to open an album)

I picked up the ltd Stealing Sheep CD that comes with a bonus mix CD from Roughtrade but neither did it for me at all.

The Electric Eden comp is good, but it just seems a bit hit and miss compared to the truly gobsmacking possibilities of the subject matter. Good but not great.

Picked up the 6CD boxset of old Mike Oldfield albums when it came out, purely for some that I don't have but I'm still too lazy to get past Tubular Bells. Had never remembered hearing the version of the final track featuring an inebriated Viv Stanshall before. Loved it.

There's a fair bit more (as well as download purchases) but these were the highlights. If I can add one thing it's, amid the righteous but unstoppable hype of the Goat album, to please please check out the Pontiacs and ASCS albums. They are both well worth a punt if you can afford them.

TTFN
espsummer
340 posts

Aug 25, 2012, 05:58
destroyer ~ kaputt

added comfort to night bike rides this month. reminds me of Psychic tv with Pale Fountains horns playing mellow music.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Aug 25, 2012, 12:25
machineryelf wrote:

wasn't overly impressed by it, a bit too much like a Tears for Fears tribute band for my liking, much preferred the first one

That was my take on it as well. Usually pretty much like anything O'Sulllivan is involved in but couldn't escape the TFF vibe. My copy went back as a trade in.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Aug 25, 2012, 12:40
Latest highlights:

Hallock Hill - The Union / Hem of Evening just reissued on MIE records as gatefold double vinyl. Had digital copies of both of these so know the music well but this is a beautiful package including book. Mastered by James Plotkin.

Don Cherry - The Organic Music Society. Reissue of fantastic Cherry record from 1972.

Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: At June In Buffalo. Essential release for anyone interested in Feldman.

and given the recs on here, picked up the Goat album yesterday which is presently getting its first listening and sounding very good.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Aug 25, 2012, 13:05
Love that Destroyer LP, though the horns made me think of Jon Hassell on David Sylvian's 'Brilliant Trees'- they're doing a tour in a few months and I'll see them in Bristol...

Have been at the Green Man, so purchases made in the Rough Trade tent there including:

*Taste the Lazer by The Time & Space Machine (Richard Norris' project sounds like the missing link between Black Cab and Hawkwind)
*On and On (plus a free e.p.) by Syd Arthur (impression of them live was Tim Buckley backed by King Crimson)
*WIXIW by Liars
*Field Music by Field Music (I was missing this one and blown away by their performance)
*Into the Diamond Sun by Stealing Sheep (foxy psych-folk sorts from Liverpool)
*Maraqopa by Damien Jurado
*a vinyl of Saint Dominic's Preview by Van Morrison
&
*a bunch of stuff by of Montreal as they were fantastic live and they had lots of their stuff, so got: Satanic Panic in the Attic, Paralytic Stalks, False Priest, If He Is Protecting Our Nation..., Icons Abstract Thee, and thecontrollersphere...
Boxnudger
Boxnudger
246 posts

Aug 25, 2012, 14:27
Loved Field Music at Green Man. Other highlights for me were Dexys, tUnE-yArDs and getting Mogwai's autographs.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Your latest buy - and stockhausen bleg?
Aug 26, 2012, 16:50
Was surprised to find the vinyl of Scott Walker's "The Drift" in the new release bin (though it's now 6 years old) and snapped that up!!!

Plus dozens of used vinyls, highlights include "Osmosis" by Osmosis (obscure 1970 jazzrock) and a stack of original 1960's Herbie Mann LP's (underrated global fusionist jazz).

Having a bit of money to blow, I am now pondering whether it would make more sense to buy a couple favorite Stockhausen pieces on used vinyl (the old DG versions) or splurge for brand new Complete Edition CD's. Particularly I'm after Hymnen, Gesang der Junglinge and Kontakte.

On LP format, the first is a double LP and the other two are on the same LP. In CD terms, the first is a 4CD set (includes two versions of the whole piece) and the others are on 1 CD with a couple other short pieces. I figure it'll cost around $75 for used vinyls and $125 for the CD's.

Anyone familiar enough with these to have a recommendation?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 26, 2012, 17:46
a takeaway Indian from a great stall on the market in town. Pretty great for €6, you get loads

plus a copy of the Observer which came with an 8 page pullout on Lawless the new Nick Cave scripted film. Showing the history of the US bootlegging scene etc.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Aug 28, 2012, 06:16
Big Naturals S/T LP

Spun it once so far, but I was a bit distracted with some large breasts in my face so I suppose I should play it again.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index