20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2012, 05:06
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 August 2012 CE
Aug 14, 2012, 04:33
I have taken the opportunity during summer road trips to Scotlands furthest and most beautiful reaches over the last three years to expose my more adventurous daughters to all sorts of stuff on the car cd player and see if they liked it. Those played this year were: 1) Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere/Zuma/Weld; 2) Pink Floyd - Meddle/Live at Pompeii; 3) Jimi Hendrix - The Best Of/Stockholm 9/1/69 second show. A good example of the type; ....to find that I now have female offspring who are mad for the likes of Neil, Jimi, Floyd and the rest and demand Cortez and Echoes on repeat amazes me and makes me VERY happy. I feel that I've done something right with my life. 4) David Bowie - Live at BBC 2002; 5) Smoke Fairies - Through Low Light And Trees. All my daughters now love 'em; 6) Pentangle - Cruel Sister/Anthology 7) Shack - HMS Fable; 8) Beach Boys - Pet Sounds; 9) Santana - Moonflower; 10) Portishead - Dummy; 11) Boards of Canada - In A Beautiful Place In The Country.. I love the Boards, me. This is their best /Geogaddi..there is a track on this called The Beach at Redpoint. Redpoint is near Gairloch, and is one of our favourite places. Jay Kay lives just down the road. T'other year a pine marten broke in and totally trashed his kitchen. Gold Star:) 12) John Martyn - In Session; 13) Talk Talk - Laughing Stock; 14) Dave Brubeck - Take Five; 15) V/A .. And Someone Left A Cake Out In The Rain- A Tribute to Jimmy Webb.....there is some brilliance on this; 16) The Necks - Hanging Gardens...suspicion that it'd be very good for the motorway confirmed; 17) Marvin Gaye - What's Going On; 18) Procol Harum - Live With The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra; 19) V/A - Classical Chillout; 20) William Orbit - Pieces In A Modern Style. I have a rip of part the original version of this, which included version of Cantus and Fratres from Arvo Parts Tabula Rasa. Part gave Orbit permission to use them, then changed his mind on eve of release. The album had to be rerecorded with different tracks. About 200 of the original version got sold though...and is stunning. Music for the end of the world; 21) REM - Live At The Olympia.. the girls were already fans via their mum when I bought this for them just prior to our first roadtrip three years ago. Didn't tell 'em, sneaked it into the player just before we set off, and hit the play button as we hit the M1 sliproad. I will never forget the look on their faces. Played constantly on that trip and last year, less so this. A gorgeous version of Cuyahoga sums up our adventures. Never the greatest fan of REM meself - only ever bought Murmur, and think they were right to quit, but saw them live twice at close quarters and enjoyed hugely. A very 'human' band. This is an album of their less well known stuff, without exception better than the original studio versions. Very good for the road. Last good REM album? This one. A great live band. Check out the acoustic version of their greatest song Country Feedback with Neil Young at the Bridge School Benefit on youtube; 22) The Waterboys - This Is The Sea/ Best Of..bought virtually blind just before this holiday. Thought they'd fit the mood. Didn't. Sorry, Mike......... Solitary late night winddowns: 1) John Martyn/Danny Thompson - Live at the Brewery Arts Centre; rapidly superceeded by 2) Paul Kantner+Jefferson Starship - Blows Against The Empire for the duration. Ranted about separately .......finally, post hol sesh round at my best mates, leader of a 70's/80's Yorkshire band known to but not necessarily liked by some here.. 1) Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle; 2) Jah Lion - Colombia Colly; Grace Jones - Private Life; 3) Sun Araw, Gengras, Congos - Icon Give Thank. THANK YOU to those here who first made me aware of Sun Araw; 4) Boards - Beautiful Place again...all of it. Not a duff note... 5) Pentangle again... 5) John Martyn - Johnny Too Bad. Bliss; 6) Doors - Orange County Suite; 7) Fripp and Eno - Beyond Even ....and I forget the rest...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index