30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 July 2012 CE
Jul 30, 2012, 20:41
SUN RA - Lanquidity
(I really love this one ... finally found a vinyl so I can study it properly ... the title sums up the sound perfectly ... also the guitar player(s) amazing ... a bit like In A Silent Way, maybe?)

GLOWPEOPLE - Things ...
(love having this on to chill to ... it tends to suck my friends in deep, tho, and cause them to exclaim with wonderment)

HOWLIN RAIN - The Good Life (ep)
(Title track has been stuck in my head on and off for MONTHS. Not sure if you can still get this. It's wonderful. 3 tunes, recorded in a day.)

GRATEFUL DEAD - Wake Of The Flood
(many many beautiful moments on this ... maybe their best studio work ... the version of the band with just Billy but no Mickey always gives me the best kick, no offense to Mickey who is also wonderful ... great songwriting and a wonderful introduction to the band for neophytes, which is what occasioned this spin)

L. A. WITCH - http://lawitches.bandcamp.com/
(not actually home listening for the most part ... shared a bill with them the other night and their soundcheck moved me brightly ... the track on the bandcamp sounds about like the live show, tho they may have got tighter since the recording)

FIONA APPLE - The Idler Wheel
(wasn't sure I was going to like this, but I really, really do. too many great details to get into now. rewards repeated replays. worth mentioning only two musicians on the entire record, and one of them is Keith Richards' drummer.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index