Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 July 2012 CE

30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 July 2012 CE
Jul 30, 2012, 10:47
What Will We Be - Devendra Banhart
Devendra sounds less like a young Bolanic pixie on this on this one. Rats is a bit Led Zep-ish, whilst tracks like First Song For B are pretty damn gorgeous.

One Day I’m Going To Soar – Dexys
Like Kevin Rowland’s much-maligned 90’s covers LP, My Beauty, this treads a thin line between ridiculousness and greatness. One minute I’m wishing they hadn’t come back, the next I’m loving it!

WIXIW – Liars
This is very different to Sisterworld. There’s a lightness of touch that gives it an almost ethereal feel and though it sounds like it’s just floating past I could tell from the first listen that some of these tunes are really going to register.

The Integral – Mother Of Six
Doomy Sabbath-like rock band from Wrexham with a singer who wails rather than screams (more Ozzie than Plant, say!) over those heavy riffs.

Tokyo 2006 - Rolling Stones
A bit of a perfunctory latter-day run-through some of their golden back-catalogue (and some lesser moments). Mick sounds tired on Gimme Shelter.

Loony As August On A Drunken Baboon – T.Rex
Bits and pieces collection of unreleased stuff inc some live and telly performances. Also includes All My Love which Bolan really should have released.

Also...
Ersatz GB – The Fall
Mazes – Moon Duo
Early Years – Mungo Jerry
New York ’88 / Phoenix ’94 – Iggy Pop
Superstition – Siouxsie & The Banshees
Cruelty Without Beauty – Soft Cell
Dusty... Definitely – Dusty Springfield
On Patrol – Sun Araw
His Eye Is On The Pyramid – 13th Floor Elevators
Kung Fu Super Sounds – V/A
Dos - Wooden Shjips