Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2012, 20:17
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2012 CE
Jul 23, 2012, 18:37
Larry Young Fuel s/t/Spaceball 2cd
great mid 70s electric space funk jazz that's pretty out there.
Bits of the s/t remind me heavily of the Sharrocks' Paradise lp which is from around the same time.
Spaceball seems a bit more glossy while remaining pretty out there.

Dexys One Day I'm Going to Soar
Return of Kevin Rowland, his voice seems to owe less to General Johnson's nasality these days. The music seems to pick up on a lot of the band's earlier influences plus possibly a bit more 50s stuff though more smoothly blended.
I don't think I'm massively into the mid song skits. Would rather have the songs straighter, I fear novelty might wear off pretty fast.
Nice lp though.

Omar Khorshid Guitar El Chark disc 2
not heard disc through yet but this 2nd one i as good as I'd hoped.
Guitar has more bite in places than on the Tribute to El Atrache se t which was the only cd by him I could get my hands on before this appeared in its cd version.
Songs are largely about 5-6mins long, very atmospheric instrumentals. Khorshid's electric guitar, some Arabic hand percussion and possibly some synth.
Think this might appeal to other people into middle eastern psych though it's a bit different to Erkin Koray etc.
Anyway I've been trying to get my hands on his material for years and this is a great starting place, probably more than that. Whole set is 2hrs+ long.

Sun Ra Disco 3000 disc 2
the small size version of Sun Ra's crew in Italy in '78. The electrc rhythm machine seems less dominant here than I thought it was supposed to be.
Art Yard pressed another run of the 2cd set which I think sold out a dark red covered run last year. This has electric orange sleeve.
Might still be some copies if you missed last year's version.

Can The Lost Tapes box
so far only heard disc1, glad to have it and it will take a while to absorb. Some compelling grooves so far anyway.

Pregnant Unnatural Lover
I think I picked this up for about 26p + p+p. Gareth Sager of Pop Group's early 90s band. Think they thought they were being post modern. i don't think this as hit me as well as the e.p. I had of them back then. Think I'll listen to it a bit more though.

Dollar brand live set from 68
Pretty out sound with both Gato Barbieri and John Tchicai in the band.
Really think I need to find out more about the guy's work since i've enjoyed what I've heard of it. he seems to be doing much straighter jazz now with overt township folk influences.
Head other more atmospheric stuff from the mid 70s. All seems to be pretty great.

Skin Yard
various lps by early Seattle band. SOme nice psychy touches among the heavy guitar etc.

Fine Art
Minneapolis based new wave band from early 80s. i enjoyed this set.

SRC BGO set.
Like the 1st disc which is the s/t & Milestones lps which both feature the stun guitar of Gary Quackenbush. I think he's sorely missed on Traveller's Tales which makes up disc 2 even with his replacement trying to do ersatz him fuzz leads on several tracks.
The Angel Song from Milestones sounds curiously effete for a Detroit rock band.
I find the stun guitar shapes the sound of the 1st lp and large parts of the 2nd. Also find the shape of that sound very different to that of Procul Harum who they frequently get compared to.
It's a lot more parabolic than theirs is. So I'm wondering if they were aiming at something similar and came up with something different because the band chemistry & playing styles were obviously different or if they were just another influence among many.

various other bits and bobs that will no doubt come back to me later.
Walkman still throwing up the continually surprising melange of sounds, psychedelia, prog, african, jazz, country, rockabilly etc all in a mix worthy of a good dj. Intelligent shuffle is such a good idea, not heard the ipod version does it work as well?

Reading
Judge Dredd epics. getting almost up to date now.
Just been reading through the PJ Maybes, & the Fargo clone family history. Actualy just started Origins which is all about going after Fargo's body.

Still reading Umberto Eco's Prague cemetery.
about 100 pages from the end, Think this has been far less satisfying than I've normally found him.

Richie Unterberger white Light/White Heat The Velvet Underground Day by Day
got this as my bog book at the moment so I'm only as far as '66 but an interesting read. Should have got through it quicker. But does show things like how much r'n'b was getting into the mix of the band's sound as well as other influences.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index