IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2012 CE
Jun 11, 2012, 08:42
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual
Speaking of budget I am not sure if the pricing of this (under a fiver) is a mistake or a piece of marketing. Either way this is the first studio recording from CR's new country-psych-soul-ish combo. The influence of CR's many guest appearances with Phil Lesh is easy to spot. The songs are long and never really get to a point but it is much better than the live recordings that have filtered out over the last year might have suggested. The individual band members don't really have an identity yet (at least not on record) and it is kind of hard to listen to this without thinking "what would Rich be playing right now?" but there is a lot here for for lovers of "American Beauty" / "Workingman's Dead" / "Live In Europe" era GD or the last Robert Plant band and album. If your tastes swing that way or if you liked either the Crowes unplugged best of record from last year or the one recorded at Levon Helm's the year before then there are very many worse ways of spending a £4.49. All it lacks is the Crowes two-pronged guitar lift-off and a memorable chorus or two.

Ooh! Bargain. Might check that out next week!

That only seems to be the iTunes price. Not that it is expensive in other places but it isn't under a fiver.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 16:06
IanB wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

Speaking of budget I am not sure if the pricing of this (under a fiver) is a mistake or a piece of marketing. Either way this is the first studio recording from CR's new country-psych-soul-ish combo. The influence of CR's many guest appearances with Phil Lesh is easy to spot. The songs are long and never really get to a point but it is much better than the live recordings that have filtered out over the last year might have suggested. The individual band members don't really have an identity yet (at least not on record) and it is kind of hard to listen to this without thinking "what would Rich be playing right now?" but there is a lot here for for lovers of "American Beauty" / "Workingman's Dead" / "Live In Europe" era GD or the last Robert Plant band and album. If your tastes swing that way or if you liked either the Crowes unplugged best of record from last year or the one recorded at Levon Helm's the year before then there are very many worse ways of spending a £4.49. All it lacks is the Crowes two-pronged guitar lift-off and a memorable chorus or two.

That only seems to be the iTunes price. Not that it is expensive in other places but it isn't under a fiver.

Think you're right. Oh well, on hold then (£3 in Fopp in a couple of months I reckon) cos I want to get the bells and whistles fanpack Rush album this week. It looks all shiny and purty and yum.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 16:32
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

Think you're right. Oh well, on hold then (£3 in Fopp in a couple of months I reckon) cos I want to get the bells and whistles fanpack Rush album this week. It looks all shiny and purty and yum.

I made a rare foray into HMV today and saw a few things I hadn't seen before - massively expanded versions of the first Slits and Damned lps and a somewhat less tempting expanded version of "Rainbow Rising". The Rush fan-mag release thing does look rather nice but I am still in post O2 high dudgeon!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jun 12, 2012, 16:38
Jun 12, 2012, 16:38
IanB wrote:
The Rush fan-mag release thing does look rather nice but I am still in post O2 high dudgeon!

Yeah, but I expect it's not been mixed by the 02 soundspod...I hope!

I'm looking forward to it 'cos the 2 new songs they played on that tour were really good. Think one was called "Caravan" and it had a properly old skool crunchy Rush-riff. They definitely seemed in tune with the old power trio thing.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 19:18
keith a wrote:
Stevo wrote:
They also reformed a couple of years back. Think they're still going from then.

One of them, I think the guitarist, was in a band called NoMan wasn't he?
Thought there'd be trouble with the name cos Roger Miller of mission of Burma had a solo project called that too.

Stevo

Yes, they seem to have reformed but there doesn't appear to have been any further releases as yet.

Don't know about NoMan, although according to Wiki one of them formed the Minuteman so could that be it?

I really like Ultrasound. There was a 10" single came out last year, called 'Welfare State'. Bit of an epic, too- classic Ultrasound, er, sound. They reformed after getting back together to do a Cardiacs cover for the Tim Smith benefit CD, 'Leader of the Starry Skies'- think they did 'Big Ship' on that. They were wearing the Cardiacs influence literally on their sleeves- you can see a Cardiacs badge on the cover of Everything Picture- back when Cardiacs were still really unfashionable.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 19:22
Paul and Linda McCartney- Ram

The Beatles- Hard Day's Night

The Beatles- Whitology

Alexander Tucker- Third Mouth

Geva Alon- In the Morning Light (the Israeli Neil Young!)

The Hypnotic Lights- We Are...

MayMay- And So I Place You In The Setting Sun

Dead Mellotron- Glitter

Rich Batsford- Mindfulness

Moody Blues- The Collection (Denny Laine era)

Townes Van Zandt- Our Mother the Mountain

Marc Bolan- The Beginning of Doves.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index