Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2012, 15:31
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 April 2012 CE
Apr 22, 2012, 15:20
Spiritualized Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Better than I feared but lacking in the kind of sparkle that would have me pulling it out ahead of LGM or LAGWAFIS

Stones It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Recommendable mainly for the fantastic Mick Taylor solo on Time Waits For No One and the bass on Fingerprint File

The Band - Rock of Ages
This was bought for me by accident when I was 12 (I wanted Made in Japan) and over the course of that winter I learned to love it once I got past the no riffs, no long solos, no capes thing. This live album and the History of Fairport Convention double (which was my sister's) were hugely influential on what I listened to thereafter. Far more than the effect either Dylan or Neil Young had on me. Both the cd versions I have heard of Rock of Ages lack the gorgeous woody earthiness of the original and the expanded version adds nothing but padding so if you have a turntable and can get it on vinyl that's the way to go. And how great were Richard Manuel and Rick Danko?

Black Crowes - Six Filmore shows 2010 & Before The Frost ... Until The Freeze
Imagine Mick Taylor joining the Burritos and then popping off to do Manassas with Steven Stills instead of hooking up with Mick n Keith. That's kind of what this adds up to. Some of the best country-folk flavoured rock performances since the late 60s Stones except that you don't have to listen around the singer's accent.

Rip Rig & Panic - I Am Cold, Attitude & God
How much longer must they tolerate not getting their due? Beefheart meets Liberation Music Ensemble. What's not to like Post Punkers?

Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F. The Lost '77 Mixes
Sounds waaay better than I remember.

Charlie Daniels - Fire on the Mountain
Not Skynyrd but not an album of cliches either.

OST - Cave Of Forgotten Dreams
Soundtrack to Herzog's Paleolithic cave documentary. Suitably spooky.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index