riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 January 2012 CE
Jan 16, 2012, 18:52
Kogumaza - s/t
Yamantaka//Sonic Titan - YT//ST
Annapurna Illusion - Life is an illusion

Megaton Leviathan - Water wealth hell on earth (not listened to this for ages, the half hour slow death in d minor is epic!!)
Bong - Beyond Ancient Space

Sun Araw - Ancient romans

via Youtube - the three tracks of Gnod - Chaudelande Vol 1 (frustrating it's only on vinyl!)
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2012, 20:40
Jan 16, 2012, 20:39
Over the weekend:
Solstice - New Dark Age
Neil Young - On the Beach
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Popol Vuh - In den Garten Pharaos (not my favorite PV, to be honest)
The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Aksak Maboul - second album
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
The Residents - Meet the Residents
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Roxy Music - s/t
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You
Captain Beyond - s/t
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 17, 2012, 17:58
IanB wrote:

BTW have you got any Pentagram recommendations beyond the early stuff? Is there one stand our album?

I'm not really the person to ask about Pentagram; I've only got the First Daze Too comp of very early material and another comp called Turn to Stone which is a merging together of tracks from, I think, three 90's albums. They've seem to have had such a stop-start, sporadic recording career for a band that's been around forever and I think many albums seem to feature re-recordings of early songs. I think "20 Buck Spin" keeps appearing on everything! "Turn to Stone" is good for a lot of low-end groove doom I must say.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 17, 2012, 19:45
IanB wrote:

BTW have you got any Pentagram recommendations beyond the early stuff? Is there one stand our album?

gothic looking lassie with her boobies showing, bathed in a delightful red tinge, can't remember off hand what it's called but it's probably the best standalone lp, but if as I'm assuming you've heard First Daze that's a good place to stop IMHO but I'm probably not a good judge as I find them to be vastly over rated [20 buck spin is very good though]

get the Statik MajiK ep by Cathedral instead is my advice, or something with Wino on it
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jan 17, 2012, 20:22
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

gothic looking lassie with her boobies showing, bathed in a delightful red tinge, can't remember off hand what it's called but it's probably the best standalone lp, but if as I'm assuming you've heard First Daze that's a good place to stop IMHO but I'm probably not a good judge as I find them to be vastly over rated [20 buck spin is very good though]

get the Statik MajiK ep by Cathedral instead is my advice, or something with Wino on it

Thanks both for the steer. I think maybe I should stick with what I have (First Daze). Can't say I have given them much of a thought sinve getting that one but I saw this extended promo for the movie and got interested ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjPRyFhxpgA
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 18, 2012, 07:09
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

Thanks both for the steer. I think maybe I should stick with what I have (First Daze). Can't say I have given them much of a thought sinve getting that one but I saw this extended promo for the movie and got interested ...

I suspect the longevity of Pentagram is not down to the music but the fact that Bobby Liebling is patently unsuited to any other job, Dead Jail or Rock n Roll as the song goes.
This looks to be the same as Lemmy The Movie and the Anvil Story both of which left me feeling sorry for the main protaganists,although judging from that clip the fact he is still alive seems he has the devil on his side
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2012, 08:39
Jan 18, 2012, 08:38
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

I suspect the longevity of Pentagram is not down to the music but the fact that Bobby Liebling is patently unsuited to any other job, Dead Jail or Rock n Roll as the song goes.
This looks to be the same as Lemmy The Movie and the Anvil Story both of which left me feeling sorry for the main protaganists,although judging from that clip the fact he is still alive seems he has the devil on his side

Indeed it does. The Daniel Johnston and Roky train-wreck documentaries seem to be what they are aiming for here. Though maybe this one has an Anvilesque feel-good ending.

In all cases I end up thinking "put the fucking camera down and help these people!" Then again there is a lot tv journalism that makes me feel that way.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index