Oct 31, 2011, 17:04
V/A - Autumn Almanac

Bert Jansch - Rosemary Lane

Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering

Scott Walker - Scott 3

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Elton John - Honky Chateau

Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings Memphis Tennessee
Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings Guitar Man (2 of the 'lost' albums from the Follow That Dream label, both re-jiggings of previous compilations. The latter becomes a more realistic proposition as a 'should-have-been' studio album by jettisoning the 1968 recordings included on the 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' CD, leaving a set of tracks laid down between May 1966 and September 1967. Unfortunately this means that a couple of real gems get dropped, while some crap remains. Could have been tightened up by losing 2 more tracks, making the 'Guitar Man' LP a pretty consistent 12 tracker, which is what it would have been had it been put out for real back in 1967).

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Dazzle Ships
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Junk Culture
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Crush
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Peel Sessions 1979-1983
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Navigation: The OMD B-Sides
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 October 2011 CE
Oct 31, 2011, 17:04
Stevo wrote:
had the Modern Lovers on myself this week but mine was Precise Modern Lovers Order the early live compi that's Longbranch Saloon plus. Pretty great cd if you can still get it.
I love the 1st studio lp too. Finally got a physical version again this summer though mine is part of the Sanctuary 2cd compi.name of which eludes me at mo. Has the first 2lps plus singles on first disc tho presumably later lps on the other. Cant check right now cos not at home.
There's a good bio of JR called There's Something About Jonathon that i picked up from FOPP a couple of years back fr 2quid i think. Plus they're covered in From The Velvets to The Voidoids aren't they.
Jerry Harrison's droning keyboards are pretty sublime. The mix of VU/Stooges influence too

The only ones I've got tbh are S/T and Rock 'N' Roll With The Modern Lovers. Definitely need to get the Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers one.

I also fancy that 90's album with the Velvet Underground song on.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 October 2011 CE
Oct 31, 2011, 17:54
In recent weeks...

Holy Fuck- Lp

The Chameleons- Script of the Bridge

Pink Floyd- Piper at the Gates of Dawn (original vinyl copy in mono that I found in a charity shop for £15! Looked pretty scratchy but cleaned it up and it plays brilliantly, and the mix does sound significantly different to the one I'm familiar with...)

Roy Harper- Folkjokeopus (on sunset, same charity shop for a fiver)

XTC- Skylarking

The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers

Anika- S/T

Anton Barbeau- In The Village of the Apple Sun

Anton Barbeau- Drug Free

Anton Barbeau- Psychedelic Mynde of Moses

Steppenwolf- Early / Live

The Amboy Dukes- Survival of the Fittest Live

Magazine- No Thyself (mmm... great lyrics, rather middle-aged and anaemic music, IMO. When they do come alive it sounds like they're parodying themselves, yet weirdly Devoto seems aware of this and plays it up in the lyrics, especially on last track, 'The Burden of a Song.' The presence of McGeoch and Adamson are inevitably greatly missed here).

Magazine- The Correct Use of Soap

Magazine- Secondhand Daylight

Magazine- Real Life

Elvis Costello- Brutal Youth

John Cale- Fear

Ane Brun- It All Starts with One

Baby Dee- Goes Down to Amsterdam

Birdengine- The Crooked Mile

Maria and the Gay- Greatest Hits Volume 1

Flare Acoustic Arts League- Big Top / Encore

Mistys Big Adventure- The Family Amusement Centre

The Oscillation- Out of Phase
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Oct 31, 2011, 19:12
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Yeah, I've got 'Cry Tough' on CD. Email me your addy and I'll sort you out with a burn.

Brilliant! Thanks Fitter. One small problem - I don't know your email address!

If you'd rather, you could email me on squid AT noiseweb DOT co DOT uk
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 31, 2011, 19:17
Squid Tempest wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Yeah, I've got 'Cry Tough' on CD. Email me your addy and I'll sort you out with a burn.

Do you have the official bootleg that was leaked out prior to the first album? It's a corker.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Oct 31, 2011, 19:21
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Do you have the official bootleg that was leaked out prior to the first album? It's a corker.

All I've got is Cry Tough on scratched and wrecked vinyl sadly. I'd like to hear the S/T one too as it happens. And the Grin stuff.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 31, 2011, 19:30
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:

All I've got is Cry Tough on scratched and wrecked vinyl sadly. I'd like to hear the S/T one too as it happens. And the Grin stuff.

Can you drop me an e mail? My address book is all f*cked up. x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Oct 31, 2011, 19:40
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Can you drop me an e mail? My address book is all f*cked up. x

Done.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 October 2011 CE
Oct 31, 2011, 23:45
Forgotten Woods - Baklengs mot Stupet 3-cd boxset
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels...
Taake - Hordaland Doedskvad
Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Should be picking up the 2-cd version of The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions tomorrow. Can't wait.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Nov 01, 2011, 12:18
Squid Tempest wrote:
[
I gotta get that Bong CD. I've got Gilgamesh, which is kind of OK, but from the sounds of it Beyond Ancient Space could be right up my street.

I'm quite touched that people are still enjoying Secret Astronomies and the Proximas btw - thanks!

I've not heard anything else by Bong so can't compare it to Gilgamesh but I would recommend it to folk who like heavy drone. But the drone is just the central noise, the "sitar" instrument, other guitar and rhythm section kind of dance round it - the drums and bass especially are fantastic the way they just gradually shift gear. There's always something new to hear The drone gives way on the last track to an Ash Ra Tempel, Amboss sound. I can see why they subtitled the album Unsere Kosmiche Musik!

According to my itunes I've played cosmic wand transform 17 times - I love it, it's v calming.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index