Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 October 2011 CE
Oct 24, 2011, 00:52
Apocalypse – Bill Callahan
Just a great collection of songs.

Sniper - Marc Hurtado & Alan Vega
I wasn’t sure about this at first, but then I guess Al isn’t known for his hooks these days! It’s growing on me though and Saturn Drive Duplex has a strange beauty about it. Sacrifice has great Vega vocs, too. There’s real feeling there.

Dub Housing – Pere Ubu
Especially Ubu Dance Party.

Then & Now – The Who
I shouldn’t grumble cos it only cost a few quid, but I was a bit gutted when I realised those early 70’s non-lp singles Let’s See Action and Join Together weren’t included. Pale Blue Eyes is a great song for sure, but if I wanted it on cd I’d buy Who’s Next (and indeed have). That said I haven’t heard Tommy in a long time so it was good to hear the ‘Listening To You’ bit which I think is Townshend’s finest ever melody. What happened to PT’s muse though? Who Are You seems a lot of fuss about nothing and You Better You Bet is a two and a half minute pop song dragged out to twice the length because Pete does ‘epic’, you know. And I haven’t bothered playing the two recent tracks a second time yet. I just go back and listen to The Who try and fulfil their Beatle dreams on the wonderful the Kids Are Alright (which apparently only reached a lowly 44 in the UK Hit Parade!) and the I Can See For Miles which is pretty much as good as it gets for me.

Also...
Dead Songs – Big Blood
Proxima – Black Tempest
Dead Legs & Alibi’s - Dark Captain
We Love the City – Hefner
Things We Lost In The Fire – Low
In Nightfall – Seabuckethorn
The Eternal – Sonic Youth
Forth – The Verve
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index