Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 October 2011 CE

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 October 2011 CE
Oct 23, 2011, 10:22
Psychic Ills : Hazed Dream
Thanks to mingtp for turning me on to this one. It is indeed a sublime and spooky drone-rock listen that in places reminds me of Spiritualized before Jason attained the budget to record in a 48-track studio and decided he needed to use every one. Recommended.

Disco Inferno : The Five E.P.s
Being a compilation, this is more varied than either the outright experimentalism of "D.I. Go Pop" or the condensed 29-minute attack of "Technicolour" (the album on which they really DID go pop), but it's an essential piece of the jigsaw that shows how their sound evolved towards the stunning sample-laden vision of rock's future that they did nonetheless.

Neon Indian : Era Extrana
On which one-man band Alan Paloma makes the same leap from lo-fi to mid-fi that Ariel Pink did on "Before Today", with a corresponding increase in songwriting consistency and decrease in kooky self-indulgence.Has a lot of the same 80s synth-pop influences to boot, and the same ragged, irreverent take on them. Looking forward top seeing how this album will translate in a live format when he plays London next month.

The Replacements : Tim
Hadn't listened to this in donkeys' years until this week. On rediscovery it feels like the mosts consistent release in their discography. Featuring some of their most inmtense and brooding material ("Hold my Life", "Bastards of Young", "Here Comes a Regular") and a relative lack of the throwaway bar-band rockers that sometimes marred their other albums, this one is pretty much full-on angst from beginning to end. Reminds me of all the worst aspects of being 14, in fact, but in a good way. Mid-life crisis ahoy?

Tim Rose : Tim Rose/Through Rose Coloured Glasses
Sadly, the critical concensus on this one seems to be correct. The first s/t album - featuring my favourite versions of "Hey Joe" and "Morning Dew", plus the original version of "Long Time Man"(covered by Nick Cave)- is excellent, whilst the second one is rather poor, to say the least. Even the liner notes more or less admit that it was just tacked on to this two-fer as a bonus. Sounds like the record company told him to lighten up the mood a bit, resulting in a more off-the-cuff air and even a a couple of ill-advised forays into burlesque showtune territory ("Hello Sunshine" and "You Ain't My Girl No More") Traces of his pre-PC lyrical misogyny are still present, however.

Also mentioned in dispatches:

Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements

The Fugs - The Fugs' Second Album

Stories - Walk Away from the Left Banke ...(The Best Of)

V/A - Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain (The Songs of Jimmy Webb)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index