Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2011, 19:33
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 October 2011 CE
Oct 23, 2011, 18:04
Hail!

Opeth - Heritage 8^)

Mastodon - The Hunter. Brilliant. More concise and immediate than earlier works but no less inventive for it. The focus is intense and the delivery powerful. Another Mastobelter from a truly great band.

Solus 3 - Corner of the World. I've had super-sexy sneak preview of the forthcoming album. It's really very, very good! It's got all the best qualities of the debut with nobs on. The harp is tinglier, the bass boingier - there's more clarity in the sound and it keeps that improv vibe but marries it to more hooks and grooves. This sounds like a band more than a 'project' as such and it works so well. My two faves are the dub-madrigalesque "Lollardry" and the title track which features a gorgeous vocal hook, but on the whole, it's an album to truly delight and immerse in. Sumptious; Larvely!

Surtur - World of Doom. Enjoyably primitive doom! OGH!

Grumbling Fur - Furrier.

Steve Lacy - The Straight Horn of...
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

KISS - Rock n Roll Over. Yeah!

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff

Fornost Arnor - The Death of a Rose. Really good, goth tinged prog black metal that sniffs Opethwards. Like this lots!

Invasion - The Master Alchemist. Insanely brill and enjoyable. Best cowbell evah!

Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra. Black metal titans go bombastically orchestral to delightful effect. Turns out it's a great "headphones" album cos of all the symphonic twiddly bits. Ace!

Coil - How to Destroy Angels. (((((shiver)))))

Aliases - Safer Than Reality. New mini album from the group formed by the former guitarist of proto-djent metal titans Sikth. Insane polyrhythmic riffage. Like it lots!

Wonderland - best of. I don't play this very often but when I do it makes me smile! German band take on Brit 60's Carnaby Street psychedeila and it's produced with the insane bombast of ....James Last. Hugely entertaining!

Have a nice week song slurpers x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index