Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2011, 23:20
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 October 2011 CE
Oct 03, 2011, 12:48
Osiris Best of
pretty dirty funky in places but retains a bit of an 80s sheen in others. I think the good outweighs the bad anyway and it does finally mean I have a copy of War on The Bullshit which I've been missing for years.
Had it on an NME gogo compi they put out with the sountrack to Good To Go.
Just reminded with the sheen of what was wrong with the studio material Troublefunk were releasing around the time, too glossy. Troublefubnk were downright dirty live so I wonder what this crew were like.

Guru Guru Hinten
Loopy improvisatory guitar workouts on 2nd lp by German avant dunt trio.

Red Crayola Parable of Arable Land.
Sonic Boom remastered version. Stereo still sounds a bit odd, compressed or something. But mastertapes were apparently scrapped after the mono set was produced.
Great lp, with avant-garage tracks interpsersed with open ended free improvisation as I guess most of you should know. Wondering if I should plunk for God Bless in this series version too?

Mountain Bus Sundance
Country influenced Dead like jams from Chicago based band whose career was wrecked by Mountain's management. Would love more material like Hexahedron here.
Been meaning to buy this for ages. So finally have.

The Web I Spider
Interesting proto prog lp. I think the new singer/keyboardist Lawson is singing consciously without vibrato because his predecessor had a powerful one. This tends to veer from getting towards the hard followed almost immediately by something more melodic/softer. I think I like it overall. Would like the hard fuzz-bassy stuff to stick around a bit longer though.

Pere Ubu Datapanik disc 2
This contains the first 2 lps that I was introduced to by the band. Dub Housing & New picnic Time. Dub Housing has a great sense of rhythm mioxed with a feeling of almost schizoid estrangement verging on the abstraction.
New Picnic Time might be considered poppier if it wasn't so abstract. It's not as artily abstract as the band got with Mayo Thompson onboard over the next few lps though.

Van Der Graaf Generator World Record
Van Der Graaf Quiet Zone
The Nice Here Comes.... The Immmediate anthology
The Mops Psychedelic Sound From Japan
Disco Inferno The 5 EPs
Grateful Dead Europe 72 Arhus & Rotterdam
Pink Floyd Piper, Saucer & Animals
Free Spirits Live Scene '67
Henry Cow 25/11/76
Harmonia Musik

Paebiru
Brazilian lp from '74 which largely disappeared in a flood at the time. This is the cd version that came out a couple of years back. Pretty great throughout but I think the last 2 sides contain the real gems.
Each side has an elemental theme. Need to look at the liners more to find out what is really being sung about but some great themes appearing.

The Stepkids
Am pretty impressed by this live set by the psychedelic soul group from East Coast USA. Sounds enough like things like Curtis Mayfield to make me want to further investigate. May grab myself a copy of the cd now.
Had been intrigued by short articles in the current uk monthly music rags.

Sun Ra Disco 3000
Sun ra in small group combo with beatbox. Gets really alien sounding in places. Thankfully doesn't get very discoey.

watched
Soldier Blue
not as good as I'd hoped

Doctor Who last 3 episodes. Did think that the 'eternal question' was supposed to be just that no human could pronounce his name.

will fill this out a bit more later.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index