David Byrne - David Byrne

Black Swan - Athlete

Face The Music - ELO

In The Neighbourhood - His Latest Flame

Wild and Lonely - Associates

Steel Town - Big Country

Journey To The......... - Rick Wakeman

Argy Bargy - Squeeze

Plus Adem, Jon Anderson, Shanker/Menuhin, Waterboys, Whitehills and newish Glasvegas stuff.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 September 2011 CE
Sep 26, 2011, 12:49
IanB wrote:

Tori Amos - Night of the Hunters

Is this any cop, gave up her couple of releases ago, too much filler but I listened to the Bee Keeper this week and enjoyed it far more than I remembered

otherwise Klaus Schulze - La Vie Electronique Vol1 - definitely put me in the mood for vols 2-10, I think I have most of this on MP3 but it's lovely to hear in high quality, probably not a good introduction to Schulze but a welcome addition to the available studio stuff

Echtra - A War On Wonder black metal ambient, I'm probably listening to this wrongly, it should be played at max volume on a cheap hifi in a cave at midnight but I prefer to let it slowly rumble in the background as it slowly builds up, refreshingly low on screeching too, also listened to Fauna - The Hunt which pretty much does the same for longer and Dark Throne - A Blaze In The Northern Sky which does feature a fair bit of screeching

Led Zep - How The West Was Won
Motorhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith a couple of outstanding live documents

SunnO))) - White2

Lunar Dunes - Galaxsea

Deep Purple - Burn,Stormbringer,Come Taste The Band

Bong - Live At Roadburn,Beyond Ancient Space

& that Nico Marble Index/Desert Shore plus extras 2cd which I cannot remember the title of but is rather good
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2011, 13:21
Sep 26, 2011, 13:02
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

Tori Amos - Night of the Hunters

Is this any cop, gave up her couple of releases ago, too much filler but I listened to the Bee Keeper this week and enjoyed it far more than I remembered

It seems like a really good idea - writing songs to and/or under the inspiration of existing classical works and with my SOLUS3 hat on the idea is really attractive, especially as Julia is a bona fide classical ártist on the harp, but it doesn't really come off for the most part.

It's not something I would listen to in preference to a record of songs by Mahler or Strauss that's for sure. Her piano playing is a big feature but that's a bit too blocky for my taste a lot of the time and there is not enough texture in her playing to really carry it off. Tori Amos isn't a bona fide classical pianist and that hampers the effectiveness of the album.

For a singer songwriter record there is just too much going on to make the songs stand out. At times it sounds like two different records playing at once and not in a good way. If you listen to this and then play say Peter Hammills' live album with Stuart Gordon then the contrast is stark. You can say a lot more in that mode with a lot less going on.

When it does work, which is when it is a bit more stripped back and empty, it does sound gorgeous but I find myself listening to the music and the playing rather than the song overlays. So it's an interesting listen and an ambitious effort but falling between two stools it is not essential I don't think. If she had worked with say John Cale then it could have really been something special.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 26, 2011, 14:20
ta for that,sounds again like she is in need of a decent producer/editor again but for different reasons this time, think I'll wait for it to turn up cheap on amazon.Like the John Cale idea though, probably do them both good, certainly more appealing than than Reed/Metallica
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2011, 14:24
Sep 26, 2011, 14:23
Have enjoyed these of late...

CAVE - Psychic Psummer
WOODEN SHJIPS - West
CAUSA SUI - Pewt'r Sessions 1 and 2
JOE CROW - Coincidence
GLOW - Rehearsal Recordings
GILLIAN WELCH - The Harrow & the Harvest

A bit of nostalgia...

EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND - The Harvest Years 4CD
PINK FLOYD - Dark Side Of The Moon 2CD ( live disc )
DAVID BOWIE - Lodger

Fucked up inside by...

SPIRITUALIZED - Pure Phase LP
SPIRITUALIZED - Smile / Sway 12"

Amazing analogue mixes !

So far underwhelmed by...

SUN ARAW - Ancient Romans

All the best everyone.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 26, 2011, 14:34
Squid Tempest wrote:
How is the new Opeth? I'm tempted...

'ere you go...(cut n pasted from previous due to laziness)

"Skipped down to the record shop yesterday and picked up the super-sexy deluxe* edition of Opeth's new..er ...opus.

Big gatefold WOW!

Mikael Akerfeldt has, after all the signs on previous albums, written his definitive love letter to his beloved 70's prog with big slurpy kisses to Crimson, Floyd and Camel in particular with even a dirty flirtation with Mahavishnu fusion in the mix!

It's the hard-rock of Opeth (rather than metal) in bed with all of the above and it's a splendid listen. Parts of it had me giggling like a loon at the sheer, shameless prog of it all - an album to luxuriate in. Even with the Scando-melancholia that pervades all Opeth stuff present, this is essentially a joyous thing; the sound of an artist doing their thing above and beyond anyone's expectations.

A delight (IMO)!

*foldy outy bits, lenticular sleeve to fiddle about with, dvd with extra songs and mixes and stuff. It's like the 21st C version of a double vinyl gatefold to pootle about with and fondle and.....(cont. page 94)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 26, 2011, 14:37
Looks like I'll be stopping at HMV *spit* tomorrow then.

*gibber*
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2011, 14:48
Sep 26, 2011, 14:47
Hail! \m/

This weeks listening in the catpod has mostly been dominated by...

Opeth - Heritage. Mikael A and the boys go for the full prog on this. Loving it and who know's where they go from here?!

also listened to...

Wolfcrusher* - Virgin Tapestry. Very enjoyable Mancunian mix of death metal and stoneresque groove rock. Could do with a few more classic riffs as it were, but a fine, fun debut that gets the blood rushing about a bit.

*no, I haven't made that up!

Super Furry Animals - Dark Days & Light Years. Excellent stuff. I thought the previous album was a little slight in comparison to previous works. I don't think SFA are capable of making a bad record per se, but the last album almost seemed to be saying that Gruff Rhys was spreading his considerable talents a bit thin. This, on the other hand, is back to the SFA best IMO.

Salif Keita - Koro. Hampered by 80's blats and parpings but nice afro groovement anyway.

Vangelis - Heaven & Hell. Larve it.

DVD
Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter. a Companion piece to the main film and an animated adaptation of the infamous comic-within-a-comic in Watchmen. Narrated by Gerard Butler fact fans. It also comes with a 'televised' version of Hollis "Original Nite-Owl" Mason's biog "Under The Hood" using a mix of 'interview' and 'documentary' styles to bring the book (within a ...) to life. Really good!!

have a nice week tune tasters x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2011, 15:16
Sep 26, 2011, 15:02
machineryelf wrote:
ta for that,sounds again like she is in need of a decent producer/editor again but for different reasons this time, think I'll wait for it to turn up cheap on amazon.Like the John Cale idea though, probably do them both good, certainly more appealing than than Reed/Metallica

If DG really did commission this album from her (rather that being a bit of spin on an album that she conceptualised) then I don't know what they were thinking. She probably needed someone from maybe the opera world to help us through this and give it some shape. There is just too much competition between the songs and the arrangements.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Sep 26, 2011, 15:12
You seem to mention Opeth a lot. Are they any good?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index