49 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Sep 12, 2011, 12:51
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 September 2011 CE ♥
Sep 12, 2011, 12:50
Hank Williams III released four albums this week.

Ghost To A Ghost/Gutter Town - Hank III
Double header showcasing the more trad side. First one, the easier country side. The second leaning towards the ragin' Cajun. Also featuring a rather smashing duet with Tom Waits. There's a lost of it.

Attention Deficit Domination - Hank III
The doom metal album. Recorded with Hank playing all the instruments. And, it shows. Very much a home-recording multitracked vibe to it. Lack of dynamicism. Shame

3 Bar Ranch: Cattle Callin' - Hank III
This is mental. Well, half of it is. Taking recordings of auctioneers from the local cattle market and setting them to heavy metal riffs. It's barking. Unfortunately, he can't let a good thing lie and feels the need to feature the tracks twice, second time with him singning over the top. These really don't work as well as the one's without. Reminds me of he Buttholes at it's best

Red State Sessions - Michael Parks
Inspired by his Phelps-based character in the movie Red State, 'troublesome' actor and friend of Johnny Cash doing stripped back spirituals. Niiiiiiiice

True Grit OST - Carter Burwell
I love Burwell's work with the Coens. Add to that gospel themes done proper widescreen western stylee and I'm in hog heaven.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index