49 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2011, 10:42
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 September 2011 CE ♥
Sep 11, 2011, 10:37
Kaiser Chiefs 'The Future Is Medieval' - it's taken a couple of months for this to get to me, but maybe it'll pall less quickly for me than their first three albums as a result. Lacking the killer choruses that made the Kaisers' name it's true, but there's a new maturity and substance evident here. A goodie;

Belle & Sebastian 'Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant' - possibly the darkest release from B & S. At times I find them a bit too clever - and cold - for their own good, but when they hit home, as in the staggering 'The Model', they leave an indelible mark on my soul;

Aztec Camera 'Walk Out To Winter' - obscenely cheap 2CD anthology that I bought from Oadby Asda two weeks ago and have found near-impossible to prize from my car stereo ever since;

Eels 'With Strings - Live At Town Hall' - E + an audience = enthralling stuff;

Aereogramme 'My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go' - near-perfect swansong from one of Scotland's most missed bands. Nearly every track is a waltz: how cool is that?

Eberhard Weber 'The Following Morning' - my fave Weber LP: drumless, meandering, mesmeric. Creates a wonderful, autumnal ambience all around the house.

I also rediscovered my short-lived soul boy roots this week by digging out my 'Street Sounds' compilations. What memories.

Guido Cantelli provided my classical pleasures: his incomplete Beethoven Fifth (lacking the first movement, alas) is a revelation, and his Brahms Third likewise makes me hear a hackneyed symphony anew. Had he not died tragically young, who knows what he would have gone on to achieve.

Enjoy your week, everyone.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index