Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 September 2011 CE ♥

49 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 September 2011 CE ♥
Sep 11, 2011, 23:55
Fourth Drawer Down – Associates
Classic compilation of a & b-sides that MacKenzie & Rankine released straight after each other back in 1981. Kitchen Person still sounds like one of the most bonkers records ever.

The Party’s Over - King Post Kitsch
Recent album on the Scottish Song By Toad label which is also home to Meursault. There’s a bit of everything here but it’s a really enjoyable set.

The Trip – Laetitia Sadier
The nice Stereolab lady sings a few songs in that unmistakeable accent. I’m still not keen on her version of Summertime, but otherwise, more than decent stuff.

Louder Than Bombs – The Smiths
A compilation that seemed a real cash-in at the time, but ultimately proved a great way to get loads of great a and b-sides in one place. I've been playing London loads lately.

A BBC History - Tyrannosaurus Rex & T Rex
Kinda brings it home just how much Bolan changed in just a few days. There are some great versions of those old esoteric Ty Rex tracks here.

RCD Blues Collection Volume 16 – V/A
I thought this had been lost for good, but there it was in a clear plastic wallet hidden amongst some cd’s. Good to hear Jimmy Anderson’s Naggin’ and there’s a great track by Smokey Wilson.

Straight To You: The Gothic Country & Blues That Inspired Nick Cave – V/A
Excellent set. I could listen to Ella Jenkins Wade In The Water all day!

The Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years – The Wild Swans
If you liked that late 70’s / early 80’s Liverpool sound this is a MUST, because the band who released one of that scene’s finest moments (Revolutionary Spirit) are back with a bang. Paul Simpson is a top notch writer and the production backs up his work quite beautifully.

Also...
Neon Bible - Arcade Fire

S/T - Grizzzzy Bear

Dwellers On The Threshold – Tarwater

Phil Spector Definitive Collection – V/A

Bad Seeds: Nick Cave Roots & Collaborations (Mojo) – V/A

I Can See For Miles (Lost Tracks From America’s Psychedelic Underground) – V/A (Excellent Mojo cd from a couple of years ago)

Plus some other old Mojo & Uncut cd's and some live Beefheart, etc.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index