Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 August 2011 CE

28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 August 2011 CE
Aug 21, 2011, 23:24
Not done this for a while so there's a few weeks stuff here...

Enchanted – Marc Almond
I hadn’t heard this one in a long time – I haven’t been listening to MA that much in recent times TBH – but this is definitely one of his best for me. Some of his finest songs.

Young Americans – David Bowie
So many great tracks with Win sounding especially fine.

Peggy Suicide – Julian Cope
Great to hear Dragonfly again on disc 2.

Dead Elvis - Death In Vegas
The Contino Sessions – Death In Vegas
Contino is a classic AFAIC. I always thought Dead Elvis was a bit patchy but it sounded great this week.

S/T – The Doors
I really don’t get why The Doors have gone from being everybody’s darlings to being seriously under-rated these days. So some of the later albums are patchy and Jim wrote some silly poetry and ‘let himself go’. So Ray talks pretentious bollocks at any given opportunity and Oliver Stone made a film about them that some folk hate (though I don’t personally). So what! This isn’t just one of the finest debut albums ever, it’s one of the finest full stop AFAIC. I must have heard it hundreds of times but it still sounds as fab as ever. It’s easy to take a track like Take It As It Comes for granted – an almost throwaway Doors song that comes before the epochal The End, but listening to it through a cheap pair of headphones on my hols it sounded like one of the greatest tracks ever!

Automatic – JAMC
Where the Reid brothers go all T.Rex. Love it!

Cloudland – Pere Ubu
This has been a great re-discovery of late. Really enjoyed Bus Called Happiness.

The Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years – The Wild Swans
Top notch song-writing from Mr Simpson. "Isn't it strange how the years fade away?" he asks on the fabulous When Time Stood Still that name-drops Raw Power, Transformer, Aladdin Sane, Live At The Witch Trials, Horses, Little Johnny Jewel, etc. Proof that he's not just a great songwriter - he has impeccable taste, too!

Also...
Cripple Crow - Devendra Banhart
What Will We Be - Devendra Banhart
2004-9-16 White Session, Paris - Devendra Banhart

Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys – The Equals

Ventriloquizzing - Fujiya & Miyagi

Autobahn – Kraftwerk

Just Call Me 'Lone' Lee - Tim "Love" Lee

Southpaw Grammar (Legacy Edition) – Morrissey

Ride On A Brand New Time – NLF3

The Stone Turntable - Transglobal Underground

Knowle West Boy – Tricky