Unsung Forum »
Music of the mad.

86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Music of the mad.
Aug 21, 2011, 15:53
Rave certainly was a creative explosion, regardless of whether you got it or not. As with hip-hop it took a few years to reach its' creative apex, but the vast majority of ground-breaking music released in the early-mid 90s had either had direct roots in rave culture or used it as a springboard for inventing new genres like hardstep jungle. I don't even think that the question of whether or not you appreciated rave directly correlates with which drugs you were on - it was a generational thing which people over 25 largely didn't relate to (as with punk ten years earlier, psychedelia ten years before that, and rock'n'roll tewn years before that). Being in my layte teens - early 20s at the tiome, I found it exciting and refreshing even though my tastes had already been shaped by the traditional founding fathers of alternativ e rock (Velvets, Stooges, Beefheart, T Rex etc.)

Personally, I have no problem with Pro Tools, quantising or home recording in general. To my ears it's much more valid than the annoying dead-end Ludditism peddled by industry-groomed fakes like the Jack White. Sure, the likes of the Mekons and the Fall would have sounded shit if they'd had an unlimited amount of time to record, but that's not the point - we'll never hear their like again, precisely because the music they made was the product of a specific time period and a specific set of circumstances. That's why I said I wasn't holding my breath in anticipation of a new explosion of cutting edge music - trhe musical landscape has become so diffuse that whilst there will always be disparate delights aplenty, I doubt there will ever be a specific genre which we'll be able to point to and define as cutting edge ever again.

I do agree that the sheer volume of music being released at the moment is only likely to increase throughout the next decade, making it harder to filter out the chaff, but I doubt that the ratio of good to bad music being produced will change that much, regardless of technological innovations - in a similar way that the ratio of good to bad TV never seems to change no matter how many digital channels you can afford/be arsed to install. No matter what recording methodoligies are available to them, there will always be inspired / unhinged mavericks out there who will use whatever's at their disposal to produce works of genius.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index