Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2011, 12:20
Re: Music of the mad.
Aug 17, 2011, 12:18
IanB wrote:

And, as you say, there are a lot of liars (you say actors) out there and I would extend that category to the many whose rock n roll shtick is based squarely on a (manufactured) perception that the extremes of excessive use of drugs and alcohol can be sustainable for years at a time and even form the basis for a successful life as an artist and as a human being. Myth making of the most damaging kind. Most long term addicts I have come across in rock are liars, bores and bullies rather than seers or shaman and very few civilians have the support and infrastructure that a rock star has at his or her disposal.

I've always found the Keith Richards mythos that so many have aspired to ludicrous.Not big, not clever. Keith admits that he's not dead because he's wealthy enough to have been getting an excellent supply, knows how to handle it, and blood transfusions myths aside, the all important infrastructure that you mention.

Anyone, regardless who, and in this case rock stars/famous musicians who manages to sort themselves out and come back from the brink re. a terrible addiction, they're the ones to respect. Addiction is a road we could all be on. Give me Alice Coooper and his golf, Bert Jansch, Rick Wakeman, a now sober Ronnie Wood, any day. Fuck cool. A lot of the music 'meeja' took the piss out of Chris Martin for being an avowed teetotaler. Fair play to him, dreadful music aside.

Drugs and booze does not make great art. It is peripheral at best.
A touch of pyschedelic opens doors, but as George Harrison said, you use it to cross to the other shore, and then leave that boat behind.

Cleaning your act up, getting your life back, recovering and surviving, now that IS cool.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index