Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE
Aug 15, 2011, 13:59
Datashock - Pyramiden von Giessen. A classic modern Krautrock album, loving it!

The Doors - Morrison Hotel/LA Woman

Heldon - Electronic Guerilla/Allez Teia/It's always rock and roll.

Allez Teia was a recommendation from Emil Amos (Grails/Holy Sons) and I liked it so much I got the other two. French electronica (with guitars and mellotron) from 70s, though some solo acoustic tracks also. Some of the tracks sound a little dated to my ears (usually the more bleepy up-tempo tracks). Clearly influenced by Fripp/Eno, King Fripp is one title, Moebius another. The lengthy middle track of Allez Teia reminds me of Black Tempest. But there's at least a good double album lurking within these three. They seem quite rare so I had to go the Itunes route.

Gnod - Somnambulists Tale/Science & Industry. Didn't know what to expect from these cdrs but both v different and both good. I love the female vocals at the start of the first Science and Industry jam - reminded me of Crass.

In Zaire - the 3 tracks from the 2 sides of Vinyl cope mentioned in a drudion and available as free downloads from the band. Well worth it - the 3 actually work well together as an album.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 14:18
Squid Tempest wrote:
earthlingfred93 wrote:
mingtp wrote:
[quote="redfish365"]Earthling Society / Stations of the Ghost

At last. Know what you mean about autumnal too.

Thanks guys..I'm glad that the autumnal vibe has come through as it was a dedication to my favourite season...I'm made up with that

I gotta get this. Where's the best place to get it from, Fred?

Hiya Squidders

Here's your best bet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stations-Ghost-Earthling-Society/dp/B0051ZH8XG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313414247&sr=8-1
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 14:20
Squid Tempest wrote:
earthlingfred93 wrote:
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Earthling Society / Stations of the Ghost

At last. Know what you mean about autumnal too.

Thanks guys..I'm glad that the autumnal vibe has come through as it was a dedication to my favourite season...I'm made up with that

I gotta get this. Where's the best place to get it from, Fred?

It's only £5.49 on Play at the moment: here
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 16:14
Thanks chaps!
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 16:31
Very good post, IanB, I agree on all accounts. Topographic Oceans should be seen as somewhat of a disappointing album but not the OMG ABOMINATION THAT ENDED PROG ROCK that it sometimes is.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 16:36
Heldon's Stand By, Un rêve sans conséquence spéciale and Interface are my three favourites by them. That's when Pinhas chilled on the Frippisms and really got into his own intense proto-Techno world. The first two in particular...! Stand By's like one long chugging industrial suite that gets more and more intense, and Un Reve... was that breakthrough album when Pinhas just thought, "To hell with rules! Let's make some glorious noise!"

Pinhas has done a couple of collaborations with Merzbow recently that have been surprisingly good, too. My hearing was still intact at the end of listening to them at least.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 16:41
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
.. and Gnu... I suspect that one may be difficult but I've a few ideas...

You got mail a coupla hours ago ;)

Thanks my friend!
As I said I love this more than the one I have!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 16:44
Perhaps I'm a bit bonkers, but I've always loved it through and through. Never found it disappointing at all. I love it as much as I love Fragile or CTTE or the Yes Album. If I found any of the "main series" disappointing, it was probably Relayer, but I've grown to love that as well now.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 16:45
Allez Teia is a longtime favorite of mine and I doubt a week has gone by in 15 years where I didn't play it. That said, I love all Heldon albums and most Pinhas solo stuff.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 16:49
Squid Tempest wrote:
Perhaps I'm a bit bonkers, but I've always loved it through and through. Never found it disappointing at all. I love it as much as I love Fragile or CTTE or the Yes Album. If I found any of the "main series" disappointing, it was probably Relayer, but I've grown to love that as well now.

If you're bonkers Squid, so am I. I love Tales. I do feel less love for Going for the One...and Relayer.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index