Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE
Aug 14, 2011, 23:14
FifePsy wrote:
I see Emusic has it and I've a monthly refresh coming up...

I've already upgraded twice and bought (and spent) a booster pack. eMusic is definitely growing on me.

Shame Sea Cat had a bad experience because I'd recommend the site to anyone.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 00:20
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Yes - Tales of Topographic Oceans (Each time I play this I'm more surprised at its bad reputation. Okay, the titles reek of pretension, but the music is consistently melodic and inventive).

Never understood its rep either. I mean it's obviously not as good as its surrounding albums but it's still GOOD. Also, despite its weighty title/concept, it's probably one of their most laidback albums from that period.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 01:03
Earthling Society / Stations of the Ghost (Well fuck me! I finally secured a copy and t'was well worth the wait! To these ears a very Autumnal album...which works out well as autumn is my favorite season. Right up there with all ES releases and absolutely fucking essential!)

Eternal Tapestry / Beyond the 4th Door (Quite like this!)

Ancestors / Invisible White EP (This is either a short detour or it signals a change away from their harder rocking previous efforts to a proggier, perhaps a bit post-rock sound. I guess time will tell.)

The Heads / Under the Stress of a Headlong Dive (My 1st from these dudes... what else do I need from them? Anything? Bueller? Bueller?)

White Hills / Heads on Fire

Gnod / Drop Out With White Hills II

Mount Carmel / ST (Love this one! Power trio in the Ten Years After vein)

Demdike Stare / Tryptych (Not my usual cuppa but there's something appealing about it.)

Sun Araw / Off Duty - Boat Trip (Well its no On Patrol...sadly)

Nicklas Barker / soundtrack to El Último Fin De Semana (If you like Goblin's 70s soundtrack work you're going to LOVE this all analog affair from Anekdoten/Morte Macabre dude)

The Sword / Warp Riders

Orchid / Capricorn (Lavishly packaged Sabbath worship from relatively new band)

Flower Travellin Band / Satori (RIP Joe!)

Poobah / Steamroller (Late 70s Midwestern US power trio with killer guitar.)

Mainliner / Mellow Out (Quite possibly one of the most deceptive titles ever)

Expo 70 / Black Ohms

Turzi / A and also the slightly better B

The Gates of Slumber / The Wretch

Pholas Dactylus / Concerto della Menti

Embryo / Steig Aus

VA / Giallo! : One Suite for the Murderer

VA / Like Black Holes in the Sky: The Tribute to Syd Barrett

VA / Singapore A-Go-Go

VA / Fluorescent Tunnelvision

Conrad Schnitzler / Gelb, Acon 2000/1, Control, Grûn, Con+2, Concert, '85

Metabolismus / Spriebwärtsdrall

Tim Blake / Blake's New Jerusalem

Tsurubami / Gekkyukekkaichi

Triumvirat / Spartacus

The Tribal Elders / 2-track single The Light of the World & I Don't Know What I'm Doing (featuring former VdGG members David Jackson & Chris "Judge" Smith )

Wobbler / Rites at Dawn
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2011, 01:19
Aug 15, 2011, 01:19
redfish365 wrote:
Earthling Society / Stations of the Ghost

At last. Know what you mean about autumnal too.

redfish365 wrote:
Eternal Tapestry / Beyond the 4th Door

I rate that album pretty highly, hope it grows on you even more.

redfish365 wrote:
The Heads / Under the Stress of a Headlong Dive (My 1st from these dudes... what else do I need from them?

Definitely seek out the remastered version of Relaxing With... The Heads if you can. It's their first from BITD but is still a proper cracker. You'll love it. It's also by far and away the best go at remastering I've ever heard. I can hook you up with mp3s of the loooong OOP Gnu EP which I love. It was released just after Relaxing With... and is well worth a listen.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 03:09
Thanks Ming! I'll look for the remastered Relaxing With... and Gnu... I suspect that one may be difficult but I've a few ideas...
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 03:34
redfish365 wrote:
.. and Gnu... I suspect that one may be difficult but I've a few ideas...

You got mail a coupla hours ago ;)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2011, 09:39
Aug 15, 2011, 07:39
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Rumer - Seasons Of My Soul (Picked this up brand new and very cheap from a charity shop, as she has a genuinely lovely voice, somewhere between Bobbie Gentry and Karen Carpenter, although I'm more a fan of the former than the latter. All impeccably crafted, with the assistance of Glen Ponder from Alan Partridge's chat show, but too much of an exercise in retro MOR to get particularly excited about).

Watched a bit of her Hay set on SkyArts and was quite impressed. Nice sensitive non-noodly double bass and piano backing, Joni-esque lyrics and the Karen Carpenter thing of course which I havea bit of a soft spot for. Other than the coma inducing use of soma acoustic guitars (does no one actually listen to how Drake, Martyn, Chapman, Harper or even John Tropea actually played the bloody instrument) it was that rare thing these days - a superior demonstration of the singer songwriter craft. Anyway I've made a point of checking out the record and hopefully it's more Jimmy Webb than Tanita Tikaram.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2011, 08:55
Aug 15, 2011, 07:48
Chaosmonger wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Yes - Tales of Topographic Oceans (Each time I play this I'm more surprised at its bad reputation. Okay, the titles reek of pretension, but the music is consistently melodic and inventive).

Never understood its rep either. I mean it's obviously not as good as its surrounding albums but it's still GOOD. Also, despite its weighty title/concept, it's probably one of their most laidback albums from that period.

Large chunks of the First and last sides are as good as anything they did in the classic era but boy does it sag in places. There is a really good 40 minute album struggling to escape from the flabby centre. Every part of the suite has some wonderful melodic moments and some glorious playing (As well as some tired sounding noodling) but for a huge concept work like this it is oddly under-played.

Compare the way "Revealing" climaxes with any of their other great works it is almost traditional with one instrument highlighted at a time, the bass back in the mix except when leading and the drums providing the meat n potatoes. Gone is that thing of everyone being at the front of the mix at the same time. It's like losing Bruford has de-jazzed them. Even the harmonies aren't quite as vibrant. It's still top tier stuff but there is some old magic missing.

With Bruford gone their response to the onset of fame and wealth was to dispense with five sided democracy and let those who were most voiciferous have their way with the music - a "you can have your little self indulgent section if I can have all of mine" dynamic. Howe admits as much in interview in that management and record company were pushing him and Anderson to write together because of "Roundabout", "Heart of the Sunrise" etc. Which is funny given that Chris Squire was about to make what is far and away the best Yes solo record. I guess he had a lot of ideas stored up that he couldn't get into the band.

In terms of the different feels and textures I am not sure any of it is as good as Gates, Awaken or And You & I but at least they were pushing the envelope. Shame Wakeman couldn't bring a bit more Sabbath to the sessions though!
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 10:58
mingtp wrote:
[quote="redfish365"]Earthling Society / Stations of the Ghost

Thanks guys..I'm glad that the autumnal vibe has come through as it was a dedication to my favourite season...I'm made up with that
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Aug 15, 2011, 13:37
earthlingfred93 wrote:
mingtp wrote:
[quote="redfish365"]Earthling Society / Stations of the Ghost

Thanks guys..I'm glad that the autumnal vibe has come through as it was a dedication to my favourite season...I'm made up with that

I gotta get this. Where's the best place to get it from, Fred?
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index