Unsung Forum »
Desert Island Discs?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Desert Island Discs?
Jun 17, 2011, 12:44
Either Maths isn't your strongest subject or you are cheating, young man!
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Re: Desert Island Discs? Hope there's electricity...
Jun 17, 2011, 17:10
Squid Tempest wrote:
earthlingfred93 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
earthlingfred93 wrote:
Shit I didnt know it was just singles...

Look know...The Fall
City Slang...Fred Smith
Slip in side this House...Elevtaors
Cheree...Suicide
Carreering....Pil
Mainlines...Doctors of Madness
Lark ascending....Vaughan Williams
Kandy Korn....Captain beefheart (mirror man session)

Luxury item...Jessica Alba playing the complete works of Erik Satie in stockings / suspenders and full SS uniform....

Careering - great choice! but then again I'd be torn between that and Poptones. And how could I possibly leave out the Captain? Circumstances or Bat Chain Puller?? Arrrgh!

Well you know for a fact after repeated plays of the above you'll think...I wish i'd brought 'No birds' instead..Or 'The little house I used to live in' By Zappa...

and No Birds has made me leap to Pere Ubu for some reason - how could I not take Non-Alignment Pact???

aaaaw will you stop it...Now I wanna take 'My dark ages' along with 'Final solution' and my fav Ubu song of all 'Humor me' I cant belive I missed that off..and now I wanna take some Royal Trux...fuck!
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Re: Feldman
Jun 17, 2011, 21:56
IanB wrote:
Agreed. Her ARP music is superior to almost anything else of that kind. I toyed with putting in Trilogie or Vice Versa. Oliveros' Deep Listening is in the same league but more like a rock record. I might have had that too but figure that alone on a desert island you want to hear humans doing stuff.

I am a Feldman latecomer. I had previously filed him away as one of those academic American composers that are good to know about but rubbish to listen to but a couple of Seb recommendations (the Rothko and Beckett pieces) completely turned my head.

There is the standing joke that Feldman is like Cage but you can listen to him, although, by almost all the later works, Feldman had reverted to standard notation.

Definitely not academic. His personality was the antithesis of his music and for many years he used to run the family baby clothes factory. Have a bash at his collected writings 'Give My Regards to Eighth Street' which I may now want to substitute for my book. Some examples:

"My teacher Stefan Wolpe was a Marxist and he felt my music was too esoteric at the time. And he had his studio on a proletarian street, on Fourteenth Street and Sixth Avenue. . . . He was on the second floor and we were looking out the window, and he said, "What about the man on the street?" At that moment . . . Jackson Pollock was crossing the street.

" For years I said if I could only find a comfortable chair I would rival Mozart."
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Jun 17, 2011, 22:05
Dog 3000 wrote:

* 46 minute track "Zimbabwe" from "Pangaea" album is a classic chillout, would be tempted to substitute that for one of these others.

Swithered about that as well, before choosing 'He Loved Him Madly' and at 32mins you're still well covered for a single track!.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Jun 17, 2011, 22:10
Jasonaparkes wrote:
...the luxury item would probably be some scotch whiskey for entertainment and medicinal purposes....

Sorry to be pedantic Jason but scotch 'whisky' as opposed to Irish 'whiskey'. Def better with the scottish stuff though :-)
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2011, 22:20
Jun 17, 2011, 22:17
Seb wrote:
The ultimate solipsistic daydream! Some brilliant lists here.

My own (knee jerk):

Morton Feldman - String Quartet #2

Hey another one! We're almost rivalling Close to the Edge Now.
[/quote]

Edited: can't get the quotes to work
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Jun 17, 2011, 22:23
Seb wrote:
The ultimate solipsistic daydream! Some brilliant lists here.

Albert Ayler - Ghosts (studio version, from SU)

Albert Ayler - For John Coltrane (from Live in Greenwich Village)

Ayler reluctantly ended up on my subs bench although thought of the Holy Ghost box as my luxury.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Jun 17, 2011, 22:25
Seb wrote:

The Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet

This is far to difficult. Would have to have 'Miles from Nowhere'.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jun 17, 2011, 23:50
I was thinking a 12 year old Chivas Regal, though older might be more fun...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2011, 10:08
Jun 18, 2011, 10:05
F***. How did I forget the Only Ones? Question is which song. The Beast? Big Sleep? Lovers of Today? Hard one.

Also I forgot to pick anything from RLJ's "Pirates" which if we were taking whole albums would make the cut before any other singer songwriter record. Despite the sideman muso-isms she is such a wonderful lyricist and piano player and conversationalist as a singer.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index