12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 02, 2011, 07:23
Rush In London Last Night
May 26, 2011, 08:48
Visually stunning but they had the worst arena show live sound I can remember since the 70s (Santana Empire Pool) and this was with me and Mooncat at just above ground level and sat maybe 30 feet directly behind the soundboard. The bass drums just obliterated everything. Anything Geddy Lee played at below the tenth fret on any string was nearly always musically inaudible. Just a great rumble. Like a very big drill digging up the road a couple of streets away. You could feel the bass you just couldn't hear what he was playing. The guitar suffered in the same way. The snare wiped a lot of the subtlty out of his playing. Especially in the low and middle range of the instrument. As with the bass you couldn't hear the detail until he went into widdly mode in the upper range. I could see his fingers doing stuff but it was often all one big weagghhhhh of noise.

The overall sound improved very slighty in the second half but still too muddy for a show in a purpose built venue with a high end ticket price. It should have sounded fantastic. That said the Moving Pictures section was genius and the drum solo (I usually hate drum solos) was a major highlight.

Unsung Forum Index