Rush In Birmingham Last Night

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Rush In Birmingham Last Night
May 23, 2011, 11:23
Yes, Riotmaster! Rushtastic! Me and Moth went with my teenage son. We were right at the front which allowed Moth to take some corking photos :-) I've just posted a blog about it, with lots of Moth's photos in it. Have a looksee: http://www.janetomlinson.com/rush-may-2011/

We loved it. Great to hear all of Moving Pictures in track order :-)

I disagree with you about the drum solo - I love it, possibly because I have a very special place in my heart for Neil and I have never seen anyone play drums like him. He actually plays properly worked out songs , rather than just endlessly, tediously bashing away at the skins like so many drum solos.

I loved it all, especially Far Cry, Free Will, 2112 and Working them angels. In fact I loved it all except Stick it out, which is not my fave.

My lad had never seen Rush before but was WOWED by the show. Fireworks! Flames! Whooshing things! Lights! There were some other young men just next to us who jumped up and down all night and screamed out every lyric word perfect. Brilliant!

Now listening to Permanent Waves. Sweet.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

May 23, 2011, 11:54
Loved it. Loved that they played stuff from pretty much all eras - so many older bands concentrate on just their 'biggest' albums.

The downside is that you hear bits from periods you're not so keen on - for you, the 80s/90s. Personally I love it all, but I'm particularly fond of a lot of the late 80s/90s stuff like (Power Windows, Presto & Roll the Bones) so would've been gutted if we hadn't had, for example, Marathon.

Drum solo? I'm generally dead-set against the bloody things - bashing away endlessly, usually showing purely how fast they can go with bugger-all attention (ironically) to rhythm or anything as mundane as that!!

I don't mind Neil's solos tho coz they tend to be grounded in rhythms & include interesting things like (albeit synthesised) tuned percussion and stuff.

They're not my favourite bit of the gig & if I had the choice I'd probably rather have an extra song, but given Neil's profile in the drumming world & with Rushfans in general, I think there'd be a lot of disappointed people if he stopped doing them!!! ;^)

love

Moth
riotmaster
1563 posts

Edited May 23, 2011, 13:21
Rush In Birmingham Last Night
May 23, 2011, 12:05
Anyone else go ?

I felt the first set dragged a bit due to too many late 80's - 90's album snores. But it was salvaged by Freewill and Subdivisions.

The second/main set was pretty much Godly though. Moving Pictures is probably my favourite Rush album so that went down well, and that was topped by some 2112 bits, La Villa Strangiato and Working Man

All in all, a bostin' evening. Although i'm sure we can do without drum solos by now
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 23, 2011, 12:52
Excellent. I love the fact that Rush fans actually 'sing' along to all the twiddly instrumental bits.
riotmaster
1563 posts

May 23, 2011, 13:24
to be fair, it's a good piss break :)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 23, 2011, 13:27
riotmaster wrote:

to be fair, it's a good piss break :)

Are you quoting Alex and Geddy there?
riotmaster
1563 posts

May 23, 2011, 14:36
well they did both run off stage pretty quick
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 23, 2011, 14:48
I bet Geddy can take a piss, swig a pint and neck some crisps all at the same time.

Reckon Alex has a couple of pies during the solo.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 02, 2011, 07:23
Rush In London Last Night
May 26, 2011, 08:48
Visually stunning but they had the worst arena show live sound I can remember since the 70s (Santana Empire Pool) and this was with me and Mooncat at just above ground level and sat maybe 30 feet directly behind the soundboard. The bass drums just obliterated everything. Anything Geddy Lee played at below the tenth fret on any string was nearly always musically inaudible. Just a great rumble. Like a very big drill digging up the road a couple of streets away. You could feel the bass you just couldn't hear what he was playing. The guitar suffered in the same way. The snare wiped a lot of the subtlty out of his playing. Especially in the low and middle range of the instrument. As with the bass you couldn't hear the detail until he went into widdly mode in the upper range. I could see his fingers doing stuff but it was often all one big weagghhhhh of noise.

The overall sound improved very slighty in the second half but still too muddy for a show in a purpose built venue with a high end ticket price. It should have sounded fantastic. That said the Moving Pictures section was genius and the drum solo (I usually hate drum solos) was a major highlight.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Rush In Birmingham photos
Jun 01, 2011, 22:29
Bit late, but here's a whole bunch of me photies of 'em....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71451816@N00/sets/?page=1&per_page=500

love

Moth
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index