FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 21, 2011, 23:42
IanB wrote:
carlyclub wrote:

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Every week someone posts something that produces a sigh of nostalgia. Love that record and the ones that came before and after. Great band too. Put the power into power pop.

Me too, particularly Altered Beast. Quine and Lloyd - fantastic guitars.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 22, 2011, 01:26
Chaosmonger wrote:
I could recommend some good death metal if you want. Either way, check out Reverend Bizarre for some more epic clean-vocalled doomery.

I like what I heard thru YouTube of Reverend Bizarre... who else ya got? If I am unfamiliar with,anyone you suggest I'll give em a go.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 22, 2011, 07:08
Mar 22, 2011, 07:05
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

"Play Me Out" is Hughes in Stevie Wonder mode. It doesn't rock in a Purple sense but it does bring the fonk in parts. Really good blue eyed soul album with nads on. Like a rocked up Noel Mccalla / Moon(spelling?). I was already a big Motown fan at that time so I was not too phased when it came out on import but it's not "Come Taste The Band".

Trapeze are a bit over-rated overall but "Medusa" is a really good record and bits of "You Are The Music" ditto. Though by then they sound more like SNAFU than Purple.

Not overly keen on Stevie Wonder so I can avoid that, and I have always worked on the principle if I didn't hear it in 77-78 when I cared it probably wouldn't be worth hearing now so that's Trapeze sorted

Snafu, another great Roger Dean cover ruined by tedious pub rock IIRC, going to google it to find out which one, thank god Dean published Views, at least I was spared Babe Ruth.

I wasn't :-(

Bloody hell they were awful, just been wiki/you tubing various pre punk 2nd division rock bands, seemingly the entire brit scene 1970-75 was only there to provide band members for future Deep Purple/Uriah Heep/Bad Co solo projects

Lone Star and Nutz were quite good. Saw the later supporting the Sabs a couple of times and then again headlining a couple of club shows in London. Most Purple-like of the second div acts. Lone Star were more influenced by HotH era LZ. I also had a big soft spot for Dirty Tricks who were to Free what Wire were to the Magic Band. Or something. Oh and Becket who made one v good OGWT appearance and a half decent album. They ended up supplying the lead singer to Kossoff's Back Street Crawler.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Mar 22, 2011, 10:39
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

"Play Me Out" is Hughes in Stevie Wonder mode. It doesn't rock in a Purple sense but it does bring the fonk in parts. Really good blue eyed soul album with nads on. Like a rocked up Noel Mccalla / Moon(spelling?). I was already a big Motown fan at that time so I was not too phased when it came out on import but it's not "Come Taste The Band".

Trapeze are a bit over-rated overall but "Medusa" is a really good record and bits of "You Are The Music" ditto. Though by then they sound more like SNAFU than Purple.

Not overly keen on Stevie Wonder so I can avoid that, and I have always worked on the principle if I didn't hear it in 77-78 when I cared it probably wouldn't be worth hearing now so that's Trapeze sorted

Snafu, another great Roger Dean cover ruined by tedious pub rock IIRC, going to google it to find out which one, thank god Dean published Views, at least I was spared Babe Ruth.

I wasn't :-(

Bloody hell they were awful, just been wiki/you tubing various pre punk 2nd division rock bands, seemingly the entire brit scene 1970-75 was only there to provide band members for future Deep Purple/Uriah Heep/Bad Co solo projects

Lone Star and Nutz were quite good. Saw the later supporting the Sabs a couple of times and then again headlining a couple of club shows in London. Most Purple-like of the second div acts. Lone Star were more influenced by HotH era LZ. I also had a big soft spot for Dirty Tricks who were to Free what Wire were to the Magic Band. Or something. Oh and Becket who made one v good OGWT appearance and a half decent album. They ended up supplying the lead singer to Kossoff's Back Street Crawler.

Lone Star were excellent, even if John Sloman was a Plant clone to the nth degree, Nutz had something too,still have a couple of their LPs , one of which has a 'What Is And What Should Never Be' rip off so blatant it's really quite amusing, not sure where the Heavy Metal Kids fall, first division relegation or more likely 2nd division promotion hopefuls, they did manage to avoid aping Zep & Purple more than many bands at the time
Quartz were top notch live, but they never delivered on record IMHO, even the Quartz live album showed a liberal amount of plod
You could obviously make a decent living back then from touring the small clubs,where else did all those 4th on the bill acts in the music paper ads come from.
Punk had pretty much killed trad rock by the time I got around to gig going but people were still in awe of gigs by George Hatcher,Chris Spedding, Crawler and Bethnal[none of whom made any records worth listening to more than once IMHO] and AC/DC were still playing clubs to folk as interested in drinking as the music. I suppose if ten people in the crowd of every club they played enjoyed SNAFU enough to buy a record then it was enough to keep them going.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 22, 2011, 11:59
Mar 22, 2011, 11:51
machineryelf wrote:
Lone Star were excellent, even if John Sloman was a Plant clone to the nth degree, Nutz had something too,still have a couple of their LPs , one of which has a 'What Is And What Should Never Be' rip off so blatant it's really quite amusing, not sure where the Heavy Metal Kids fall, first division relegation or more likely 2nd division promotion hopefuls, they did manage to avoid aping Zep & Purple more than many bands at the time
Quartz were top notch live, but they never delivered on record IMHO, even the Quartz live album showed a liberal amount of plod
You could obviously make a decent living back then from touring the small clubs,where else did all those 4th on the bill acts in the music paper ads come from.
Punk had pretty much killed trad rock by the time I got around to gig going but people were still in awe of gigs by George Hatcher,Chris Spedding, Crawler and Bethnal[none of whom made any records worth listening to more than once IMHO] and AC/DC were still playing clubs to folk as interested in drinking as the music. I suppose if ten people in the crowd of every club they played enjoyed SNAFU enough to buy a record then it was enough to keep them going.

Nutz also had a big CSNY influence at least on the first two albums.

The problem with that era was most bands were the sum of other people's parts but not parts that were fused. They just had different influences that emerged from song to song. At least Lone Star were a little more the complete package in terms of having some individuality. Still, can't really argue with the guitar that opens Nutz Two and resolves into a Sweet style campy chugger that suggests that they had a couple of Queen albums too.

It all came together on Hard Nutz though that is more obviously Zep influenced. On stage I remember them as being a Purps type, Hammond driven metal boogie band.

The HM Kids were definitely more Watford than Stoke City with a sound pitched somewhere between Goats Head Soup and Tomorrow Belongs To Me.

Didn't Bethnal get adopted by Sounds as an East End quasi punk band? I had a single or maybe an ep that featured an Animals cover. They had a fiddle player. Never saw them.

Saw Crawler a few times out of loyalty to those that had been Kossoff's band mates. With the benefit of hindsight they were crap. Ditto the O Band / Band Called O who also threatened to join the top tier for a couple of years. College circuit and City Hall bands by and large and yes it must have been an ok living even with people paying 75p to get in.

That said the second division was dominated and clogged up with a bunch of perenials who seemed to be stuck in rock purgatory for about five years. There were also a lot of mid table, too big for the Roundhouse too small for Hammersmith / The Rainbow acts that ended up playing the New Victoria or somewhere like that.

Then there were all the relegated sides looking to get back up into the 1st division like Paice Ashton and Lord and Streetwalkers.

All very static though, especially as it would take most new acts at least three records to get a sniff of a shot at promotion. Three records is a long time in rock n roll even back then. How many musicians started a recording career in 74, looked all set to enjoy a decent life as a mid level rock n roller by the end of 75, only to have their hopes and dreams torn away in 77 while all the major label money piled on the New Wave.

Steve Gibbons anyone? Moon? Druid!!!
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Mar 22, 2011, 15:25
Ha ! I was thinking along those lines myself...if i'd had the foresight to keep that razor sharpening pyramid that came with the Ra LP i'd be wearing it on my bonce now, hehe.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Mar 22, 2011, 15:28
Full speed ahead, smug factor 10....

http://www.deep-purple.net/features/alan-freeman/alan-freeman.jpg
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 22, 2011, 15:30
bubblehead2 wrote:

Not arf!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 22, 2011, 15:52
bubblehead2 wrote:
Ha ! I was thinking along those lines myself...if i'd had the foresight to keep that razor sharpening pyramid that came with the Ra LP i'd be wearing it on my bonce now, hehe.

I could have done with a razor sharpening pyramid this morning.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 22, 2011, 15:54
P'raps you could collaborate with Bubbs on a Pyramid scheme?
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index