Register
Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 12, 2011, 18:53
For the last time it is not ventriliquism! Actually that would be the first time. Bah.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 18:54
Ha!

Who's the new one?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2011, 19:04
Feb 12, 2011, 18:55
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Apologies, Ian. Completely mis-interpreted what you were saying there - glad you explained what you meant a bit more fully.

S'ok. I have spent a lifetime getting the wrong end of the stick.

I actually hate the idea of any music being reduced to a museum piece and that there being a Wynton Marsalis style edict or consensus as to what is and isn't Rock n Roll and what is and isn't worthy of the pantheon. There is some stuff that we really need to kick out off the top table in my opinion and there are some artists and records that need to be moved back into the spotlight and it will probably take a new genration to come forward and say "actually this record or that record that you lot love is really a pile of crap". I am not getting into which artists or records right now and it might end up being the stuff I love that ends up on the outside looking in. Politcs and societal changes in general inevitablly have a big influence on how these things go in any case.

For example if we are really in for a decade of Thatcher 2 - The Sequel then the "lets talk about me" school of singer songwriter could go totally out of critical fashion which could see a lot of much loved and crtically acclaimed records back on the naughty step only to get rediscovered in another 20 years. Or suppose political radicalism goes totally straight edge / new puritan and drugs are considered hugely bourgeois. What price Can or the Elevators or Syd in those circumstances?

It's also a little like that Cope thing where he talks about playing Scot Walker to someone and hearing it through their ears and it never sounding quite the same or as good again.

I think it might take a new generation to reevaluate some of the critical opinions that we take for granted almost as received wisdom and that will totally change the concept and content of Unsung.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 18:55
Why, it's Angelos Epithemiou of course. Saw his stand up a couple of months back.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 18:58
Of course! It was on the tip of my toungue.

(scurries off to google...)
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 19:14
Vybik Jon wrote:
I never understood Unsung to be just about unheard stuff, though that's an inevitable part of it. Julian says it's Gnostic, which I understand to mean "of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge". That's subjective and could relate just as easily to the obscure as to the well known. Did it move you, did it open up something to you or in you, did it take you somewhere?

Where Do we Take U?

Also: "take the opportunity to deliver your own worldview of rock‘n’roll free from editorial constraints, Motherfuckers!" That's from the Unsung main page.

I think that there are times when it is just used by some as just another review site, but generally I think it's more than that.

I think Unsung is still okay.

What the Viking said.

My opinion? "Irk the Purists".
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 19:55
Jasonaparkes wrote:

I love Unsung reviews, but some of the selections don't fit the bill...

If people feel moved to write about an album, let them.

I must admit I'm surprised that you're the one stating the above though, Jason. Not having a go, just judging by history and your choices (which I never had a problem with).
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 21:38
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I've been browsing Unsung as I feel compelled to do a few Unsung reviews some time soon and am slightly baffled at the selections appearing. Particularly odd are selections that include albums raved over at the time (Lazer Guided Melodies) or recent albums that were critically well received all of a few months ago (Salem's King Night - the NME or someone started some stupid Witch-core scene). & These New Puritans' Hidden ain't remotely Unsung - getting great reviews at the start of 2010 and turning up in many an end-of-year poll - # 5 in the Guarniad and LP of the year in the NME!!!!

A lot of what I'm about to say has already been touched on in this thread, but as the writer of the These New Puritans review, I'd like to add my ha-penneth...

Firstly, I wrote the TNP review quite soon after it had come out, and certainly before all the end of year polls. Yes, it got some great reviews at the time, but there's plenty of albums that have sunk without trace despite receiving similar praise.

But my main point is that this is all about context, something that I think was pretty clear if you'd read the review. I wanted to big up an album that I was really excited about to an audience that might not necessarily think it was their thing, but that I thought deserved HHers' attention. That might sound terribly presumptious on my part, but I know from my own experience how easy it is to miss out on great music because you assume it just isn't aimed at you or outside your usual terms of reference or whatever.

In other words, while it might not be 'unsung' in being old or unknown, I thought that there was a good chance that people on this forum (the only music forum I'm a member of) might not investigate it or think it worth checking out. I've been introduced to a lot of good music via HH and just wanted to return the favour.

Yes, there's no doubt a load of stuff on the reviews section where I'd roll my eyes and think 'surely everyone's heard that' or 'that's too mainstream', but you know, everything's subjective...
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 22:57
Moral responsibility and financial considerations...
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/moralresponsibility.php

How long have you known the album? How many times have you played it? If you're still in the first flush of excitement about it, don't review it at all. If you've played it no more than 5 or 6 times, it may just vibe you to be seeing it in your own collection.

Just sayin'.

(Mind you, I could've read it myself before the Aqua Nebula Oscillator review. Still like the record but, hey, i maybe got over-excited by 'em. Still stand by Charlie Feathers tho')
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 23:26
fauny fergus wrote:
Moral responsibility and financial considerations...
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/moralresponsibility.php

How long have you known the album? How many times have you played it? If you're still in the first flush of excitement about it, don't review it at all. If you've played it no more than 5 or 6 times, it may just vibe you to be seeing it in your own collection.

Just sayin'.

(Mind you, I could've read it myself before the Aqua Nebula Oscillator review. Still like the record but, hey, i maybe got over-excited by 'em. Still stand by Charlie Feathers tho')

I love that Aqua Nebula Oscillator record 8-) And at least it is still very Unsung.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index